Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A new member of the Tal1 owners "club".

Ever had an idea or a desire to try something out (astro equipment wise) that simply will not go away but just sits there nagging away? 

Ever since I cut my teeth on the Celestron CG3 EQ mount and grew weary with its wobbles and backlash I’ve wanted a more stable setup. Playing around with the maths regarding focal lengths of scopes and EPs, fields of view etc, I’d also come to the conclusion that an F7 - F8 scope should offer quite a nice “sweet spot”. Couple that with the attraction towards the Russian retro style over engineering and also some home grown ideas of using the pillar mount for other projects, the thought of getting a Tal nagged away.

Well its nagging no more and I am now the owner of a 1998 vintage Tal 1 110mm reflector complete with heavy pillar type EQ mount.

When the Tal came up on Astrobuysell and only a few miles away from me, it was too much to pass up. So once its previous owner had kindly accepted my offer and I’d travelled to look it over, the deal was done and it was all mine! 

So much has been written about the Tal1 I’ll not wax on too much, but it is hard not to reiterate what a solid well engineered piece of equipment it is. Fortunately this Tal1 has a rack and pinion 1.25 inch focuser. (not the helical or 32mm one) and although smooth in operation, it seemed a little stiff for my liking, so I couldn’t resist playing with it. Even this “simple" focuser has a tension mechanism that is engineered beyond what you would find on a similar “budget” priced model. I need not have worried because even though the focuser has a relatively short travel, in practice, it works very well.

Using the EQ mount is somehow far more intuitive than the CG3(EQ2), the slow-mo’ knobs falling neatly to hand - and it is so stable it settles almost instantly.

The much mentioned optical finder is a great optical instrument in its own right.

The F7.3 scope, with its (1998) spherical mirror, is so surprisingly good (even with its reputation going before it) I was quite amazed. 

Fortunately, and unusually, a clear evening soon followed, but as ever, first light coincided with a  bright moon, but that said, views down the terminator, even with a humble 25mm plossl, were impressively sharp and contrasty. 

Looking to a favourite hunting spot I had perhaps (moon or not) the best view of M36 I’ve ever had. (I like clusters)

So for a relatively quick shake down session I was more than impressed. (Certainly compared to the Celestron 130EQ)

The Tal1 will not be for everyone. Its a real chunk of hardware and I am very fortunate that to use it I only have to lift it to its observing position, but a very few yards. The Tal’s heavy engineering can, sadly, be its blessing or its curse, but for me it’s fine.

I appreciate that the Tal1 is by no means up there as a desirable bit of equipment by many peoples standards, but I am genuinely quite excited at having it as part of my humble arsenal of astro gear and I think we will get on very nicely!

Many thanks to Steve - hope your new scope serves you as well as the Tal1.

Hi Alfian and welcome to the Tal owners club :D

The Tal 1 is a really solidly engineered scope as I'm sure you can testify. They really do perform admirably on planets aswel. Great for outreach too, I doubt even a car hitting it would make it wobble so for youth outreach and the like they are great.

Im surprised more people don't recommend them when asked the question "what first scope should I get?" for around the £50-70 mark second hand there isn't much that can better one. Not for everyone though, paticularly of your prone to hernias; the wooden "coffin" they come in can take some lifting!

Best of luck matey,

Ben

Definitely +1 for the good old Tal 1 from me. I recall one of the best views of epsilon Lyrae (double - double) through a Tal 1, needle sharp pinpoint stars, cracking sight that would make many expensive scopes blush.

For the same money as a toy telescope you can have a real one instead.

Wishing you many hours of great observing, Ed.

Thanks guys, I,m really looking forward to spending more time with the Tal. One aspect of the Tal thats kind of surprised me is that , for an EQ mount, its so nice to use. Good ergonomics? (If that's right)

Could part of that be the fact there are no axis lock levers as such? Yes okay, you can lock them down tight, but most users pinch the tension knobs as tight as to stop slippage, but free enough to let you push the mount around on either axis like a dob. A wonderfully user friendly way of doing things. I get annoyed when I use a standard eq mount with axis lock levers. Shows how used to the 'Tal way', I seem to be?

Out of interest as a Tal-1 owner of similar vintage, I was wondering if your mount is of the older type. ie: threaded counterweight bar and tube rings as part of the top plate casting. I see mine as a hybrid. Newer OTA, older eq head.

Clear skies. Hope you get a chance to use it soon.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy, thanks for the interest. It is as you say. Tube rings attached to top plate and threaded counter weight shaft. I like the latter but the former makes using other OTAs less easy. Not an impossible fix though. My Tal1 came with its original manual. I love the fact that it has a proper signature certifying as checked off. A bit of history!

It's a cracking scope the TAL-1. First telescope I owned that actually gave good views over a wide power range. Don't use mine so much now (perhaps it's the weight?) but I'm keeping it just because it's a classic telescope.

This is a scope i have nearly bought a few times, i was tempted by this very one but had just bought the skywatcher 114 f7.8, which is also a lot better than you would think, congrats at being a TAL owner

My first scope and so easy to use, you could be out observing in minutes. Only sold it to upgrade to a Tal2. 

Sold that to fund my Tal200K f8.5. I'm having a special coffin made to house my body and the Tal200K when I leave this mortal world.  :grin:

Welcome to the Club.

Steve

Thanks again for the interest guys. One curious thing about the Tal is that I think it must have been designed by a left hander. (I have nothing against south paws you understand) On most reflectors the foocuser is on the right ,as you stare down the open end of the OTA, and as a result  you tend to use your right eye to look through the finder. On the Tal its the other way round making it more intuitive to use your left eye. The focuser's right hand adjuster is a tension adjuster (although tightened up it can  operates as a focuser knob) so the left hand adjuster I assume is the main focus adjuster. None of this is an issue, just an observation - or have I got wrong.

Someone I imagine is going to tell me I'm using the Tal the wrong way round!

Incidentally Steve (sloz1664), I'm showing my age but is that avatar "Steve Zodiac" of Fireball XL5 fame? 

Hi bambuko, enjoyed your ponderings. I guess the left handed nature of the Tal is just part of its character - and none the worse for it. A least no one is going to strap my left hand down (eye patch my left eye?) like wot they used to do in days of yore.

Thanks again for the interest guys. One curious thing about the Tal is that I think it must have been designed by a left hander. (I have nothing against south paws you understand) On most reflectors the foocuser is on the right ,as you stare down the open end of the OTA, and as a result  you tend to use your right eye to look through the finder. On the Tal its the other way round making it more intuitive to use your left eye. The focuser's right hand adjuster is a tension adjuster (although tightened up it can  operates as a focuser knob) so the left hand adjuster I assume is the main focus adjuster. None of this is an issue, just an observation - or have I got wrong.

Someone I imagine is going to tell me I'm using the Tal the wrong way round!

Incidentally Steve (sloz1664), I'm showing my age but is that avatar "Steve Zodiac" of Fireball XL5 fame? 

You bet.... On my way home..................

Steve

Archived