Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

shed position

Uhwaz

Hi guys

Start thinking about building shed but having hard time deciding where to put it

so attached few pictures sat overview with north orientation , 2 panoramas of my garden and then 

another where i think i would be best

would love to hear some opinions if there is better spot or you think that the one i outlined is sound

Thank you in advance

post-11892-0-75831300-1415599562_thumb.j

post-11892-0-18234000-1415599573_thumb.j

post-11892-0-18403400-1415599583_thumb.j

post-11892-0-35919400-1415599593_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That T-pole ... you probably want to be away from it so that you minimise the angle.  The best E-W pathing for long imaging sessions but in the end it always is a compromise. Where (N/S/E/W) do  you get the most skyglow?

Avoid the wires from the telegraph/electricity pole. They can show up on your astrophotos!

ye thats why i was thinking about the position as shown on photo that ll pretty much give almost 180deg view without them

Have you been doing any visual from your garden? If not, I might suggest spending a year imaging/observing. You in the end will have a far better knowledge than we can offer.

Looks pretting darn nice though :D

bought it 2 years ago but i always set up by house on road cos its in level and not as wet as grass plus not as soft as in grass

not so much time atm as i wish busy with work on house and with our new little guy thats keeping us busy for the last 16 months :)

Looks like a very nice location. Try your scope in different places and see what works best for you. Generally you'd want to place it so that you have the best possible view to the south, and can also see Polaris. Your suggested spot looks fine. Good luck with the project.

Looks a great spot and I imagine you've got very little LP to contend with.  The orientation of your garden is almost identical to ours and IMHO your location for the observatory looks good to me.

Nice looking spot, but will it kill the view from the right window as in pic 3, if so, how about moving further towards the hedge corner. It looks like you trim it in any case, and so could always lower the height a little behind the obsy'.

I have a problem EDF pole, but now have an agreement with EDF that when they replace the lines, they will cut the pole down to my specifications for use as a pier (it is set in 3m of concrete). It maybe worth checking with the owner of the pole to see if there are any plans afoot for major line work.

IMO do what ever you can to get the best East to West unobstructed view, there are a few nice things north but sacrificing a low north is no great loss ,

Id be inclinde to tuck into your furthest SW corner depeding on the route the cables take to the telegraph pole.

IMO do what ever you can to get the best East to West unobstructed view, there are a few nice things north but sacrificing a low north is no great loss ,

Id be inclinde to tuck into your furthest SW corner depeding on the route the cables take to the telegraph pole.

I agree with Earl...otherwise you'll want to cut down that big tree near the house that's obscuring your west view!

John

I would do a search for local area expanding development locations.

Though as most have some lp perhaps it doesn't really matter.

all farm land around or houses

Nice looking spot, but will it kill the view from the right window as in pic 3, if so, how about moving further towards the hedge corner. It looks like you trim it in any case, and so could always lower the height a little behind the obsy'.

I have a problem EDF pole, but now have an agreement with EDF that when they replace the lines, they will cut the pole down to my specifications for use as a pier (it is set in 3m of concrete). It maybe worth checking with the owner of the pole to see if there are any plans afoot for major line work.

that hedge is about 2.5m high so ppl that pass by on road cant see in our garden so thats out of the question i think

as to the pole its end of the line here so only 2 wires that go from pole to the S/E they quite low from my marked spot

Thx again for the replies guys makes me think about things that i didnt see 

Looks a great spot and I imagine you've got very little LP to contend with.  The orientation of your garden is almost identical to ours and IMHO your location for the observatory looks good to me.

ye there is a tiny bit of glow from some farm on the other side of the hill but thats about up to 20deg high thats really noticable only on foggy nights

other then that maybe 3 more light patches on horizon 

I agree with Earl...otherwise you'll want to cut down that big tree near the house that's obscuring your west view!

John

Unfortunately we cant touch the tree its 150years old and was in contract when we bought the house that tree has to stay

I found myself praying every lightning storm tho :)

Some points to think about:

1)  Is the small building a garage?

Is there a mains source there?

You could make one end your warm room and locate your shed on the south end.

A view of Polaris is not essential in a permanent setup.

Yes the pole is close but it's just one small part of the panorama.

2)  Headlights from cars heading north on the road?

Michael

Some points to think about:
1)  Is the small building a garage?
Is there a mains source there?
You could make one end your warm room and locate your shed on the south end.
A view of Polaris is not essential in a permanent setup.
Yes the pole is close but it's just one small part of the panorama.
2)  Headlights from cars heading north on the road?
Michael

1) yes thats garage and there is mains source thats another reason why i wanted obs a bit closer to it

i was thinking about setting up warm room in the house actually but garage should be warm enough too and wont be disturbing family, good point :)

2) there is almost no traffic on that road i'd say 1 car an hour from 8 till midnight and after that very close to non

That settles it so :) thx for all the comments and thoughts guys

Your horizons look great - go for it, you won't regret it.  Please keep us informed on your progress - observatory build threads make great reading.  Best of luck with the project.

Archived