SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full disc in Ha 05/11/2014

Twisted Lip

Hi all

Really really struggled to get this working in photoshop. I think I've screwed up the exposure on the prom capture so the disc ended up being a fair size larger than the surface detail which was always going to give me a bit of a halo around the image. Hope its not too bad but comments and advice are always welcome :)

Taken with the Coronado Solarmax SS60 and PGR Grasshopper today, 700 frames proms, 1000 surface. Not much happening today when I took this which is a shame because I've just seen some cracking pictures of looping proms from yesterday!

Clear skies all

Cheers

Will

Solar Full Ha Disc 05/11/2014

Looks top notch to me. The seeing has been really bad this week and to get anything has been a struggle.

You might want to try one exposure for the surface and one (over-exposed) for the proms, then combine in layers? This is the usual method for a full disc with proms.

Personally I think colouring the disc orange/red and the proms light blue (with a bluish background) looks really natural and helps bring out the detail in the proms.

Robin

Thanks Robin, yes thats the method I've used here. Surface disc and proms taken separately and combined in PS. I think the problem I had was that a) there wasn't much happening in terms of proms so I've B) pushed up the proms exposure too high to try and force it. What ended up happening is I increased the diameter of the prom exposure a bit too much so increasing the surface detail mask and feathering it has led to a 'haloing' effect. 

Having said that, I'm pleased with the way it has come out and really appreciate the great comments too, it means a lot :)

Will

Archived