Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Blazar

Blimey...antares just blew up 6 seconds into lift off....

Live now on NasaTV....was expecting a normal launch, and sat to watch from t minus 5 mins...and BAM...thing fell out the sky after 6 seconds.  Beach on fire....extensive site damage by the looks of it...and more important no craft now heading to the ISS....

I watched the aborted launch live on Nasa TV yesterday, and for the last 30 minutes have been watching the build up to a 2nd launch attempt tonight.

It has just dramatically failed, exploding about 5 seconds after launch.

You can watch live here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#

Here's a screen grab of the explosion:

Antares explosion

All I can say is it looked like it was tied to the ground!

Nasty though.

• Like 1

Yer.....kind of swayed to the beach front just after lift off...looked like it just about cleared the tower... I can hear insurance companies starting to groan...

Thinking about it, how much in the way of supplies to the team on the ISS have? When's the next food and water delivery due?! Not any time soon from that launch pad, that's for sure.

Think there is a progress on the way (or has just arrived)....just heard no injuries so thats good.

Bad stuff indeed....but no injuries....just a dent to the commercial resupply missions confidence (and some insurance companies bottom lines of course).

latest update is 

Appears that a first stage AJ-26 engine caught fire, exploded about 14 seconds after ignition and liftoff from Pad 0A, about 100m altitude

That was quite shocking.  We've all seen them before, but it still makes me shudder.  The energy and sheer uncontrolled violence that is unleashed when something like this happens is quite scary. 

p.s  I ticked "Like This" but of course I only meant "thanks for sharing the video."

That was a big explosion, glad everyone seems to be safe and no casualties.

That's really not good :(

Quite an astonishing piece of understatement to describe it as a "mishap" though :)

James

I've just watched it on the news - shows they are out of practice since the Shuttle program ended. Don't know why they can't find a safer way of sending stuff into space instead of on top of a roman candle.

Don't know why they can't find a safer way of sending stuff into space instead of on top of a roman candle.

The problem is being worked on, it's going to take time to develop the technology though.