NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First telescope?

Hi all,

I'm looking for your thoughts and advice here.

I'm hopefully, shortly, going to purchase my first telescope. I have been looking at two Newtonians, 1. a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT and a 2. a Skywatcher Explorer 200p (EQ5). I appreciate that both are quite different performance/weight/size wise, but was wondering which way is the best to go for my first buy.  

My budget is £350 - 450. One of my dilemmas is would I, as a newbie,  be better with the 5 inch Goto Celestron or with the bigger aperture Skywatcher and learn how to find object to observe subjects myself.  I have read recently that some Goto systems can be fiddly and frustrating to setup and I may learn more if I have to search for things without computerized assistance. Buying the Celestron would allow also me to purchase other accessories , whereas buying the Skywatcher (the one I would prefer) would just about be at my budget limit and purchase of some accessories may have to wait for a while. If I bought the Skywatcher what, if any, other accessories (essential or otherwise) would I have to consider buying sooner rather than later.  

Also given the budget is there other telescope that I should consider?

I look forward to you advice on the above.

Thanks,

Keith. :wink:

The 200p EQ5 is a very good piece of kit, I am obviously bound to say this as I have this

setup myself, but you can get virtually the same scope on a Dobsonian mount, which is

much cheaper, but it is a push to mount, still the same great views, but you have to nudge

the scope to keep your target in view, the EQ5 is a very good mount and tripod, very stable,

and can be upgraded to motor driven when funds allow, you will need a cheshire collimator to

make sure the mirrors are kept aligned, this is quite an easy task once you have done it a

couple of times, the finder scope that comes with the scope is very good, but to make finding

targets easier a telrad or rigel  quickfinder is a must, if you do get this scope you definitely won't

be disappointed, also a good sky atlas is recommended, the Sky and Telescope pocket atlas is 

very good, oh, and lot's of patients, that's mostly down to the weather, and when choosing a scope,

bigger is better. Good Luck.

+1 for the 200p, more aperture thus will be able to see fainter objects. Electronics are great for finding things but if you can't see them because they are to faint then what's the point?...

Just a word of warning, the 200p is pretty big, so check one out if you can to get an idea of size

If it was between the 130 (5.1") and a 6" it might be a bit closer, but between the 130 and an 8" it's no contest. The difference in aperture is quite significant and aperture is King.

Plus the EQ5 is a good lightweight mount which you can add motors and goto to at a later date.

Hi guys, thanks for your prompt responses and your pointers. This has been a great help. I'm gonna go for the 200p and will look at getting a finder and collimator at the same time. As regards a motor, that will probably have to wait maybe till Santa comes. It will also give me time to have a play about and get to grips with the kit and learn the hobby.

Thanks again

Keith.

Hi SmurpH..............get the best you can afford,  and  while getting  used to your telescope, accessories come later.

The 200P/8" Skywatcher 'Skyliner' is the way to go if you're just into observations. If your wanting to get involved in the subject of Astrophotography, I would not advise on a Dobsonian, due to no tracking ability. A Dobsonian is just the ALT-AZ mounting system, supporting a Newtonian Reflector telescope. Some folk still thinking A Dobsonian and a Newtonian are two different telescopes.

I`m about a Year into this hobby, the weather has been poor, and I don't need to know where everything is. I'm still studying just a small circle of sky around the Pole Star, taking in Ursa Major,  and I'm 57° North.

Using the FREEWARE program STELLARIUM is all you need to know and learn where everything is. Study this, then just go out and enjoy the night skies. 

Some may argue , but I think my setup of Skyliner Dobsonian and the EP's in  my collection are perfectly suited to the telescope and  for the task of observational astronomy. From a very dark  place/sky, the telescope is even better! If not, the telescope separates into two easy manageable  parts for car transportation to the darker site. The Dobsonian Skyliner in storage (ready to use) takes up less floor space than the Explorer 200P with its tripod mount. 

The 200p has done it for me over the past month or so. Money saved on getting a dobsonian mount and not go to allowed me to upgrade eye pieces straight away. I'm glad I did that, because the better quality eye piece's make a big difference to quality of observing I've had some cracking sights. Also I find the fun of star hopping much more fulfilling than pressing a button and waiting for go to to align. This has allowed me to understand the hobby a lot better and I've got more enjoyment out of observing.For good views and finding objects yourself for pure observing you cannot beat the 200p. Just be aware of the size of the 200p It is worth it though.

Best of luck with your choice enjoy

I'd suggest a dobsonian mounted 200p and save a few quid, provided you're not wanting to do astrophotography. Though I can't help but notice, a dobsonian mounted 250px would be within budget ;p

Na, seriously, the 200p dob seems very good bang for buck.

Thanks again for all the great advice.  I don't know where i'd have been without having joined SGL.  

Just make sure your bank manager is ready..... as this hobby starts out simple with your first scope... but once the bug bites your will end up spending close to the national debt :grin: !

Lol, yeah I can see where this will probably go, that said the subject in itself is massive, so hopefully by the time I get to grips with some of it, I'll have some savings built up again.

Astrophotography will almost certainly feature at some point in the future, but that may well be a few years down the line.I have dabbled with photography in the past (pre digital) and always needed an excuse to get me a DSLR.  I better be good if Santa is gonna give me some of what I want  :evil:

Keith

One of the Books I read is called 'Making Every Photon Count' available here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html Its given me an insight as to what Astro-photography is all about, by someone who has already learnt the hard way? If photography is several Years down the road, then a first choice Newtonian telescope on the Dobsonian mount is the way to go, like the Skyliner 200P. If you want pictures, then a tracking EQ mount will be required, hence the possibility of getting a 200P Explorer.  I have a Nikon D5000 but there are many, if not more folk using Cannon's? Its to do with the sensors ability in the Cannon over Nikon

Archived