Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax xw 30 mm

estwing

The funny thing with this shot is back int the early to mid 70's when I owned what I thought was the world largest telescope, a Dixon's 3 in refractor with an orthoscopic eyepiece and I believe a Ramsden eyepiece, the 20mm Plossl would have been absolutely massive.

Funny how things change.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just picked up my first Ethos and was comparing it to my 30xw last night. For some reason I was struggling with kidney beaning on the 30xw and also some fc (although some of that is probably my eyes). Although just one night and I need to do more comparison I found the ethox easier to use and the stars more tightly focussed to the edge. think the ethos is going to get much more use than the 30xw.

I've just picked up my first Ethos and was comparing it to my 30xw last night. For some reason I was struggling with kidney beaning on the 30xw and also some fc (although some of that is probably my eyes). Although just one night and I need to do more comparison I found the ethox easier to use and the stars more tightly focussed to the edge. think the ethos is going to get much more use than the 30xw.

Interesting. Can I ask which scope you are using them in and which Ethos you now have ?

I was using a tv85 and a 17mm ethos which I think gives a fov close to the 30xw.

However I would say that I don't like wearing glasses and do have some astigmatism so that won't have been in the 30xw favour with the larger exit pupil.

I also tried a 20xw and an lvw 22 and also found the 20xw showed more Fc than either the ethos or the lvw. It's the first time I've compared these at the same time but I was surprised how much difference I could see. I think due to my eyes keeping the exit pupil low is better for me hence why I was very pleased with the ethos. The lower eye relief of the ethos had been putting me off but I was struggling to find a wide field eyepiece that I was really happy with so delighted that I found the ethos very comfortable to use.

That's the one thing I didn't really look at in the 21mm Ethos I tried the other week. I was so blown away by the incredible scale and field it was giving I plain forgot to look at star images :)

It wasn't so much a look with the ethos as "the Ethos experience" just stunning. Still lost for words TBH.

That's the one thing I didn't really look at in the 21mm Ethos I tried the other week. I was so blown away by the incredible scale and field it was giving I plain forgot to look at star images :)

It wasn't so much a look with the ethos as "the Ethos experience" just stunning. Still lost for words TBH.

its ok steve they were perfect   :p

I was using a tv85 and a 17mm ethos which I think gives a fov close to the 30xw.

However I would say that I don't like wearing glasses and do have some astigmatism so that won't have been in the 30xw favour with the larger exit pupil.

I also tried a 20xw and an lvw 22 and also found the 20xw showed more Fc than either the ethos or the lvw. It's the first time I've compared these at the same time but I was surprised how much difference I could see. I think due to my eyes keeping the exit pupil low is better for me hence why I was very pleased with the ethos. The lower eye relief of the ethos had been putting me off but I was struggling to find a wide field eyepiece that I was really happy with so delighted that I found the ethos very comfortable to use.

The Ethos are amazing but so are the XW's. I found some of the sort of issues you describe when I used my XW's with their eyecups in the lower position. As I don't wear glasses to observe I should have had the eyecup in the upper position (as the Pentax instructions told me when I eventually read them !) and then things got much better and they became very easy to look through :smiley:

I've just checked the televue website and my minor astigmatism may affect the views above 3mm exit pupil ie it could be affecting my view of the 30xw but Probably not the 17 ethos or the 20xw. It looks like it's going to be clear this evening so i will try the xw with my glasses on to see what difference that makes. Still pretty excited about the ethos.

So viewed m45 with the xw30 and my glasses on (and the eyecup in the lower position). It was much better, easy to use and no kidney beaning etc. However I still saw some noticeable fc which I may be sensitive to? Then I tried the ethos 17 and no fc that I could see - very pleasing views. So far I think the ethos is staying in the diagonal!!

Archived