Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead Nebula

Sam

This is the first time I have seen the Horsehead nebula. It's pretty faint, I know, but it's there in the lower left corner. I wasn't quite sure where to image so I'm quite glad it showed up - a bit of a gamble really. The shot is 13 frames at 30sec ISO 1600 stacked in DSS and taken with a Canon 400D followed by a bit of tweaking with Gimp.

4259_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I can't believe it actually showed up!

Sam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the nice comments guys! :wink: - I was quite surprised it appeared. I'm going to have to capture a few more frames - and position the camera better, now I know where to look.

cheers

Sam

:wink: This is funny because I tried this the other day, also not knowing where it was, but now that I relook at my avis I can see the horsey - it was also on the bottom right hand corner of the chip. Not as obvious as this one though - well done!!

Andrew

Tried to orientate it a bit better tonight and planned to get 100 frames but the cloud rolled in at 20 :wink: and DSS only liked 17 so only four better off than last night - but with quite a bit of tweaking this is the result:

4276_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

There's a lot going on in that part of the sky!

Sam

Looking good Sam....it is a fascinating area that one, at whatever scale... :)

You need to get more subs to get the noise down, but I guess you already know that...shame the clouds don't :wink:

Your image shows a lot of vignetting. To cure that you need to be shooting flats and applying them to your lights. Do that and you'll be able to bring a whole lot more out. They are a bit fiddly at first but it's well worth the effort of learning how to do them.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Ron and Rob,

I'm going to have learn what flats are :? and, yes, that image needs loads more shots :). I'm restricted to 30sec exposures at the moment until my new lead arrives to allow remote bulb exposures. Hopefully by the end of the week I should be able to get 60-90sec exposures if I've got the drift alignment bang on. Guiding is a wee way off yet. It is quite satisfying to get a slightly better result each time - things only go up from the bottom of the learning curve! :wink:

cheers

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the last go at the horsehead. I think this was about 20 exposures at 45secs each with the canon 400D at 800 iso on 7 Mar 08. This time I made some flats and I think that's evened things up a bit.

I'm not very happy with this one though - the focus wasn't as good as it could have been and the alignment wasn't the best so I lost quite a few exposures. Learning a lot though, I guess that's the main thing.

4608_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

cheers

Sam

Archived