Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first ever solar image

kerrylewis

A very good first attempt.  Just to be picky (hope you don't mind  :grin: )  try lowering the exposure and taking a few trial shots (or use live view if you have it).  It is much easier to set focus on a dim image than a bright one.  Secondly if you take a few "subs" you can stack them using Registax and this will lead to a much improved final image.  There is a tutorial here:  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/  (modesty forbids me from giving the name of the author   :angel1: !!)  Hopefully it will explain enough to get you started on the "light side" of astro-photography.

A very good first attempt.  Just to be picky (hope you don't mind  :grin: )  try lowering the exposure and taking a few trial shots (or use live view if you have it).  It is much easier to set focus on a dim image than a bright one.  Secondly if you take a few "subs" you can stack them using Registax and this will lead to a much improved final image.  There is a tutorial here:  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/  (modesty forbids me from giving the name of the author   :angel1: !!)  Hopefully it will explain enough to get you started on the "light side" of astro-photography.

I've read the tutorial Roger and it's excellent. The only problem is that I cannot get my Mac Powerbook to connect to my camera for direct control. It seems that Olympus don't support the software anymore but it should still work. I seem to be making things difficult for myself in using Olympus (and a Mac)  - may have to give up and use a Canon like everyone else! But not a PC.......

Archived