NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad or 9x50 finder scope?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I have tubes. . and from what I can see the raci will use the existing shoe, and now I know I can fit the telrad with tape.

Appreciating all the advice!

Mine fitted into the existing shoe.

I saw the rigel, a pound or two cheaper than the telrad. . but says its lighter, might this be better suited to my scope?

I use a Rigel Quikfinder on my 12" dobsonian, mostly with an 8x50 RACI finder alongside but I can often get by with just the Rigel. It's an excellent device with a much smaller footprint than a Telrad and it's lighter too.

The Rigel seems best suited to a 9x50 raci, which may be too big for my scope. . so maybe I'm back to the 6x30 raci and the telrad

The Rigel works in just the same way as a Telrad except that it projects 2 reticules rather than 3. It would work perfectly well alongside any optical finder.

craigfoot.....I'm with bunnygod1 on this,  Although I have sold my Telrad. The Telrad is good for positioning. With its 4° 2° and 1/2 degree reticule rings its easy to use (in my case  with Stellarium as a starting guide) then go outside and place the 1/2° circle over the first Star and then locate from there. I had to wear my prescriptions when using the Telrad, as the Telrad is ZERO magnification, so looking through the reticule at the stars caused me some issues. When you view the reticules You should see 3 circles, I see 9? not a clear nine, just feels like it without glasses, but With my glasses its 100% ok. I just don't like wearing glasses at the telescope, so I sold the Telrad. But I'm considering another Telrad? The Telrad is perfect for pitch black skies, whereas the 9x50 finder is difficult to see its reticule against a very dark black sky, so I would say, having both is an option. Reach is a problem for some folk and 'risers' can be used, but I managed ok on the Skyliner 200P, with the Telrad positioned the far side of the finder-scope. I wouldn't buy myself the RACI 9x50 as it would leave my original 9x50 redundant. Also I'm not sure why folk need to correct the finder image, unless they also correct the telescope image? I found just getting used to the reversed images in the finder  and the telescope, an easy enough task and works for me. I had also considered removing the 9x50 and only using the Telrad. On reflection,  I would fix both. When using the standard 9x50 try and locate with BOTH EYES OPEN. its so much easier? The Telrad is about £35 GBP.

Also check this custom Telrad (this was originally mine, before the chop ) http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207665-telrad-v-rigel-advice-please/#entry2216473

Straight through finder = east & west reversed and image inverted

Right angle, non corrected image finder = east & west reversed but image the right way up

Right angle, corrected image finder = as our eyes see it.

Personally I use and prefer the last type because it's the same way my Rigel Quikfinder sees it too !

Having both Newtonian and refracting scopes with diagonals on them I have to make the mental adjustments when I peer though the eyepieces though but somehow I've got used to that :smiley:

I run a 9 x 50 illuminated RACI and a Telrad (on 2" extension) on my Dob.  If there is much light-pollution, the RACI is my choice.  In dark skies, where there are many stars visible, I rely on the Telrad... it's just quicker.

Clear Skies

And any thoughts on Rigel v telrad for my scope? Will the lighter, smaller Rigel give a better option along with a 6x30 raci. . or is the telrad and a 9 x 50 raci going to be fine?

Don't want to waste my money on something that is going to be too large and cause problems.

Ah that's great thanks. . do you find the telrad better than the Rigel as size wise I think I'd go with the Rigel now. And based on the PIC I'm not sure a 9x50 would look out of place on a 130 reflector.

As your probably guessing, I'm rubbish at decision making! Lol

For what it is worth :grin:  my personal opinion - Rigel and forget RACI (on 130 reflector), and that is based on having tried all of them (on my small reflectors).

Or... to put it another way - I enjoy using my RACI finder, but I don't miss it on my smaller scope.

Archived