NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad or 9x50 finder scope?

This thread is interesting, as I'm considering updating from the red dot finder on my recently acquired Skywatcher Heritage130p Flexitube.

Although I've only managed a couple of short observing sessions with it so far, I've found the red dot finder frustrating to use at present as I have to use the Heritage on the ground with a camping chair. Easy enough using the eyepiece/focuser, but not so good with the red dot finder! I'm still trying to see exactly how I should be using the red dot finder of course, but I suspect it's just going to annoy me.

So, the Telrad will somehow use the sticky pads to go somewhere on the Heritage, I presume? Can folks tell me if there are any problems with such a setup? But I'm tempted by the Skywatcher 9x50 RACI finder, I'll admit. I feel it would be much easier to use with the Heritage on the ground, as I have little enough storage space as it is without getting hold of some sort of collapsible table for the garden. Would the RACI go on the same mounting plate on the Heritage that the red dot finder uses?

Mark

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love big (RACI) finders. Mine is a home-brew 14x70 (on an 8" scope), and I used to have a 10x50 on my old 150mm, so a 9x50 on a 130mm is not entirely over the top. It is true that some small scopes don't need one, e.g. my little 80mm F/6, but with its 5.3 deg FOV it hardly needs anything. When I was piloting Olly's big dob I just used the (straight through) 9x50, and never looked at the telrad. It's probably a personal matter

I find the the 9x50 finders very difficult to use, not only looking through them but once I am looking through it I get lost amoungst the stars.

I now have 2 telrads which has made my 9x50s redundant besides one of them which I've turned in to a guide scope.

I have just taken delivery of a Telrad today and had a play tonight.  Quite cloudy tonight but there were some test targets visible (and note light pollution where I am is pretty grotty) and I really likr it.  The massive plus for me is the fact you can see your target star outside of the field of view - the viewing 'window' is square and the reticules circular so you can see when you are heading for much more easily than with a finder scope and because you move in the 'right' direction it is very fast.

For the money I cannot think of a better value astro purchase.

I would like to throw in my tow penneth worth. Ok main scope is goto but I still paid the expense to have both a red dot and 9x50 finder combined. (the Orion dual finder bracket was about £40) Reason? I dont always use goto, I sometime like to go manual and so use red dot to go close, 9x50 to get position and when needed a oversized 42mm ep to find a target.

However I also own a little 100p scope which is fitted with just a red dot finder. This serves this scope perfectly well.

Guess it depends what you prefer but in my humble opinion a raci n red dot is fine but if you want to splash the cash a little more then a telrad is a nice bit of kit

steve/baz

But I'm tempted by the Skywatcher 9x50 RACI finder, I'll admit. I feel it would be much easier to use with the Heritage on the ground, as I have little enough storage space as it is without getting hold of some sort of collapsible table for the garden. Would the RACI go on the same mounting plate on the Heritage that the red dot finder uses?

Mark

Found out from FLO today that the Skywatcher 9x50 RACI won't fit the Heritage finder shoe. Bummer!

Mark

hi, new at this but in a light polluted sky having both would be plus as a telrad would show what you are looking at in real time and then go for the magnified view and star hop. nice discussion learned some thing,how would regil fare on a 6 inch SCT?

Oh. . I'm guessing it will fit my skywatcher, butr maybe I should check first

Well I sent FLO an email question from the item on the website late on Sunday evening, and got an answer by 10am Monday morning. Thanks to FLO for usual quick service!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
........... But I'm considering another Telrad? The Telrad is perfect for pitch black skies, whereas the 9x50 finder is difficult to see its reticule against a very dark black sky, so I would say, having both is an option..

........Considered and purchased one today!.......just seems to be one of those items, that once its gone, you wonder why, and then want  for another  :grin:

The Telrad has transformed my observing. I've still got the RACI but find I rarely use it now. The Telrad fits on with double sided tape which works really well. Once aligned it can be taken off and replaced with very little if any adjustments needed. As said above, a revolutionary bit of kit and at a reasonable price. Indeed a rare occurence in this field!

I settled on the 9x50 raci and the Rigel quick finder. Not had chance to set up on the scope yet, but got a long weekend planned in a few weeks and hoping for some clear skies!

Going by my limited use of a RACI and Rigel/rdf together, I reckon you'll love the combination. The RACI is really helpful I find once you've 'arrived' via the other. Correct orientation once near my destination is great!

• 3 years later...

I am thinking on 9x50 for an XT8PLUS.  The EZ Finder was good for low mag objects.  So I got a Telrad and it is just wonderful to use on a DOB.  I have the base of it strapped with two circles made up of zip ties (did not want to ruing the scope paint job with the sticky base).  I was going to get the 9x50 but now that I am reading all the great comments on the (light) telrad, I will stick with it for a bit.

Archived