Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is It Worth Upgrading To A Dual Speed Focuser?

I own a SW 150P and I am thinking of upgrading to a Crayford dual focuser 10:1 and want to know what the general opinion is in terms of  how much benefit I would get?

My experience is that even the lower-end dual speed focusers provide a much nicer "feel" and far better control of the focuser than many of the stock single speed models.  I wouldn't necessarily say there was an improvement in the image as a result, but there's definitely an improvement in one's ability to control the focuser.

James

With a normal single speed focuser fitted your are often never quire sure, with the course action of the unit, that you have reached the best point of focus. A 10:1 smooth action reduction Crayford or similar resolves this for you. It makes no different to the resulting image, but gives you the satisfaction that it is the best result you can achieve.

I upgraded my focuser unit to an expensive MoonLite unit and consider it money well spent. Is it worth upgrading ?, that is something you will have to come to terms with, enjoy :)  

Hi CJE, I have a Moonlite on my most used scope, and it is a pleasure to use.  Quality of view is most important to me and to be able to make those finer adjustments is a great help to acheiving this.  It also makes you feel you have more control over what your telescope can do, and thus improves your experience of astronomy.

I own a SW 150P and I am thinking of upgrading to a Crayford dual focuser 10:1 and want to know what the general opinion is in terms of  how much benefit I would get?

Where they come into there own

is at high mag.A lot easier to focus 

Steve

I also use the 150P on an EQ3 mount and found that the problem of getting sharp focus was that as soon as I touched the focuser the scope wobbled all over the place.

My solution was to install an electric focuser like this:- http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html  A great improvement.

Astri Imp, with a little research it looks like this is the way to go, thanks for the heads up.

Hi there, I have a dual focuser on my 200p and despite advice to buy a cheaper version of a little Opticstar 80 without one, I went for one with, because I feel it lets me focus sharper...

I reckon, if it makes me feel better, its definitely worth having ☺

Archived