NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ 5 PRO GOTO Advice please

simmo39

Got my new mount out last night for the first time in anger. I cant  belive how stable it is compared to my old ALT AZ mount. The problem is (isnt there always!) I cant see Polaris from my garden due to some large trees so last night I tried to estimate where it would be and then used the three star alignment. From my past experiance with the goto on my old mount I know its close to not goto but last night it was not in the same county! Anyway, I think a lot of my errors where due to the guessing of polaris. I have read that you can get away without seeing polaris and using a setting on the handset and get a good alignment, What is it and whats it called on the handset? Has anybody used it?

Im really peased with the mount but need to get over the operator issues!

Thanks.

Apart from a chainsaw. I can see the pole star and my mount will not always play the game for three star alignment I think you must have an accurate polar axis. Try a guess and two star or drift align. I will watch the thread to see if someone puts that into simple terms so I can try the drift method some day.

I believe you have to get a good deal of angle between the chosen stars , a good 90 degrees. I have found a few times that the stars offered by the handset do not work even with a very good and accurate polar alignment, in truth I have had a good few problems with this mount but most if not all are down to power, now I have thrown most of cables away and replaced them I get on much better. 

Good luck

Alan

Got my new mount out last night for the first time in anger. I cant  belive how stable it is compared to my old ALT AZ mount. The problem is (isnt there always!) I cant see Polaris from my garden due to some large trees so last night I tried to estimate where it would be and then used the three star alignment. From my past experiance with the goto on my old mount I know its close to not goto but last night it was not in the same county! Anyway, I think a lot of my errors where due to the guessing of polaris. I have read that you can get away without seeing polaris and using a setting on the handset and get a good alignment, What is it and whats it called on the handset? Has anybody used it?

Im really peased with the mount but need to get over the operator issues!

Thanks.

I feel I might be looking at a future post of mine. :laugh: No experience with an EQ mount, but can you not re-ALIGN using new stars during your session ?

Hi all. Thanks for the replys. I have got firmware 3.35 loaded but cant find the polar alignment routine. Might be missing someting in the set up. Looks like it will be a few days before I can give it a go again as the weather seems to have plans!.

Hi all. Thanks for the replys. I have got firmware 3.35 loaded but cant find the polar alignment routine. Might be missing someting in the set up. Looks like it will be a few days before I can give it a go again as the weather seems to have plans!.

Once you have done your 2 or 3 star alignment (and only then) a new option appears on the handset menu to polar adjust. The handset should then ask you which star you want to use to polar adjust, select that and it will move to it. It then does a few iterations of moving the scope off that star and asks you to re-align it at first with the cursor controls, and when it has calculated your offset error, it then asks you to adjust using the Alt & Az bolts. Do this several times and the accuracy of the polar alignment should get better.

No polar scope or sight of poalris needed.

Yes it can be done. As intimated above. Get the mount axis as close to where you think Polaris should be. Make sure the altitude setting is correct for your local latitude by using the scale on the side. Line it up as best you can with where Polaris should be using resources to hand. Then run the 2 star align procedure on the handset NOT the 3 star align. Use 2 stars the same side of the meridian as you wish to observe/image and preferably 30 deg apart or more in altitude. Once you have done this go down the same menu on the handset and choose the Polar Align option and follow the instructions carefully. Choose one of the stars from the options (I use one I used in the 2 star align) and in the general area where you are going to observe/image.

Once you have done this repeat the whole thing again until your MEL MAZ errors shown on the handset are to your satisfaction. For imaging I aim for less than 30". For observing it's not so critical.

Works a treat.

Chris

Fascinating... I wish I didn't only have the Syntrek version now. :p

As to getting polar alignment "in the ballpark", investing in a digital level for azimuth

and using local solar noon - Marking out the sun's N-S shadow etc. can be useful. :)

I suppose the above works somewhat like alignmaster... http://www.alignmaster.de/

I note (non-critically!) the handset uses stars one side of the meridian. That works

for me. Retaining good polar alignment across meridian flips, I have yet to master. :o

I suspect, in my case, this is a "cone error" introduced by misalignment of the optical

axis of my budget Fast Newt. Probably less of a problem with rigid, smaller OTAs.   ;)

Fascinating... I wish I didn't only have the Syntrek version now. :p

As to getting polar alignment "in the ballpark", investing in a digital level for azimuth

and using local solar noon - Marking out the sun's N-S shadow etc. can be useful. :)

I suppose the above works somewhat like alignmaster... http://www.alignmaster.de/

I note (non-critically!) the handset uses stars one side of the meridian. That works

for me. Retaining good polar alignment across meridian flips, I have yet to master. :o

I suspect, in my case, this is a "cone error" introduced by misalignment of the optical

axis of my budget Fast Newt. Probably less of a problem with rigid, smaller OTAs.   ;)

Yes, or like me once you have done a nice alignment mark the feet of your tripod. In my case 3" square quarry tiles in the lawn.

Hi

I guess rough polar alignment is easy - you can set altitude with an inclinometer and azimuth with a compass app. If you want precise PA then maybe you have to do some sort of drift alignment, or PA error estimation and correction works (as per handset). In my case I can only see NE and E so I have to be creative. I use the PA routine in Astrotortilla for altitude and the bearing of a fixed object for azimuth :p. I know it's not especially accurate, and I have to do several iterations, but my guiding is generally ok so I'm happy :)

Louise

Set the mount up where you can see polaris, level and polar align with the polar scope. Then move to your chosen location, level again and the elevation will be pretty close, use a compass to get it pretty close in azimuth. Then use the polar align routine in the handset; you need to do a two star alignment first, then in alignment there is an option for polar alignment. It works really well. You need to do the routine several times to get it nice and tight; two star alignment, then polar align; repeat this two, three or four times, depending on how well polar aligned you want/need to be.

James

When doing the polar alignment routine, it will tell you to adjust either the azimuth or altitude knob to centre the star in question in the centre of the fov. If you have a reticle eye piece use that, else use a high power eye piece (you may need to use a low power one the first time if the star in question is outside the fov). Altering the azimuth and altitude knobs seldom allows the star to actually move directly i to the centre of the fov; so just move the star so it as close to the very centre of the fov as possible. Each time you do the routine it will get closer, but may never move the star exactly into the dead centre.

James

Hi all, Just managed to get a fix on Polaris, Have set the alt up. Havent got time tonight to do more but at least its a start. The only thing is im going to have to explain to the wife why there is a big hole in the trees! Would like to have done an alignment but am up early tomorrow.

Archived