Hello

craigfoot

Hi all,

Just joined this forum after owning my skywatcher 130 for about 18 months and having made some basic progress using apps and books. I've also got the celestron 15x70 binoculars and just ordered the Olympus 10x50.

So far done some moon observation and also seen Saturn and Jupiter. Deep sky objects seem more difficult and any advice on this would be welcome (so far only managed the Orion nebula)

I'm looking forward to getting the experience of others to help improve my setup and stargazing time!

Craig

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For DSO observing you need to know the constellations, then you need a book that shows each constellation and which DSO's are in them and more precisely where in them.

Which book is your decision, I use the Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion.

To get an idea of what they look like use Google, for DSO there is on Wikipedia a good list, search for "list of Messier objects" it will be one of the first. The table can be reordered by type, constellation etc.

Also try Cauldwell Objects.

Start with binoculars to see if you can see anything, then give the scope a try.

They are all dull grey and faint, absolutely none look like the ones given by Hubble.

If you google images of DSOs then to get an idea of what they will look like in your scope stand about 10m away from the PC with sunglasses on ;)

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Cheers for the advice guys, I've worked out the main constellations and got a few good books such as turn left at Orion and some of the Patrick Moore ones.

My 15x70 binoculars are a little shakey, hence I've ordered the lower magnification size to try too.

I think the pictures you see online can be misleading as most of them are full colour etc. When I saw the Orion nebula it was just like a white cloud.

Yes your eyes aren't sensitive enough to pick up the colour, and some of it is beyond the visible spectrum anyway. However some DSOs will show colour if you have enough aperture.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Hi Craig and welcome to SGL - I wish I could help on anything visual, but what I know about that could be written on a very small pin head!!! 

Look forward to seeing you around and hope that you enjoy your kit :smiley:

Hi Craig and welcome to SGL, some of the larger DSO should be visible in a scope aperture of 130, however, the best results for DSO observing will come only when the scope is used from a very dark site. It is possible colour sometimes can be observed in large aperture scopes, however, colour in DSO is mostly revealed in the realm of long exposure imaging :)

Hi Craig and welcome to SGL. As glowjet says colour is usually reserved for imaging as your eye cannot gather enough light to see in colour. It's similar to a dimly lit room you can only see grey, but put the light on and everything is in colour. This is where Astrophotography comes into its own because of the long shutter speed it gathers lots of photons, hence colour.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey.

Archived