Is this a meteorite?

wuthton

Seen as I make a fool of myself on here often enough I thought I'd ask here before looking a fool elsewhere.

One of my colleagues found this in one of our fields and asked me if it was a meteorite. He figured that as I have a telescope I would know....

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

post-11453-0-93040700-1408542924_thumb.j

post-11453-0-31875700-1408542958.jpg

I don't think it is. Meteorites very rarely have bubbles in them or that glassy look. I used to collect them and I've seen quite a few samples of the real thing.

Sorry if that's disappointing.

How big is it and is it relatively heavy for it's size ? Also is it magnetic ?

It does feel heavy for it's size. It weighs about 360g, 100x60x40mm..ish. I'm no longer near it to test the magnetism.

Volcanic glass is my best bet, it has certainly been very hot at some point. 

Any old mines nearby? I grew up around pits and the ground was full of colourful shiny rocks much like that. I believe they are actually highly compressed clays dug up and discarded during the mining.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

It's a piece of glassy slag.

Yup, definitely glassy slag.

What makes me feel better is when searching google (with trepidation) for glassy slag the second result is a page about how often it is mistaken for meteorites.

You're a brave man typing that in Google :)

I was holding my breath, especially as I was using the image search. But, no need to worry as a search for glassy slag presents nothing but shiiny rocks.

Archived