Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart of the Heart (neb) in Ha

ChrisLX200

Started this new project, I was aiming to get an image of Melotte 15 and surrounding nebulosity but the image scale is a bit awkward, I don't have enough focal length to frame that target tightly, and the surrounding Heart Neb (IC1805) is too large even with my reducer. Clearly I need to buy more scopes to plug this glaring deficiency in my optical arsenal :) . Well meanwhile, making do, these two images show the full frame and a crop of Melotte 15, taken with my NP127is @ native f/l (660mm) and Atik 490EX (@ 1x1). Filter was a Baader 7nM Ha. 7 x 20min subs. It needs a few more to smooth out the background (5 should do it I reckon), then I'll move on to collecting the OIII and SII.

IC1805HaSTPSL_zps7efd2524.jpg

Melotte15HaSTPS_zps906d5f0a.jpg

ChrisH

Clearly I need to buy more scopes to plug this glaring deficiency in my optical arsenal

ChrisH

and when your shed is overflowing, i'm quite willing to turf the kids out of their room and put hammocks in the airing cupboard for them for a secondary storage area :grin:

Very nice!

Well you know, I rather fancy an 18" Planewave for the long end and a Tak 85 for the short. I just need to find some bankrupt stock and/or a lottery win. :)

ChrisH

Oh well, who doesn't? Should we add as well one of those super mounts that produce 30m subs unguided?

E.

Yes that's lovely Chris - a beautiful target.  Personally I think the focal length is perfect for this.  Great detail in Melotte 15 and the right amount of nebulosity around it to give some framing and context.  A beaut, I'd say...

Yes that's lovely Chris - a beautiful target.  Personally I think the focal length is perfect for this.  Great detail in Melotte 15 and the right amount of nebulosity around it to give some framing and context.  A beaut, I'd say...

Thanks :)  Your new kit sounds like a perfect combination and will track better than mine, do you like the 490EX?

ChrisH

Thanks :)  Your new kit sounds like a perfect combination and will track better than mine, do you like the 490EX?

ChrisH

Yeah I really do like the 490.  I don't see much loss of sensitivity (if any - still waiting to do a side-by-side test) and it seems to give a crisper result with my short f/l fracs.

Very impressed with the TS130 so far too, but then my 90mm TS carbon 'frac is a very, very good scope too.  They are fantastic value for money IMHO... and I think I'm getting a handle on guiding the CEM60 now too so I'm hoping for a good autumn!

Completed the Ha channel under mostly-clear and moonless skies last night, and made a start on the SII (of which there isn't much) and OIII channels. I couldn't resist stitching together what I have to see what the final version will look like but I need at least double the amount of SII and OIII data to complete. It looked brighter than this on my Obs PC in the dark, but there you go - I'll balance it properly when I have all the data. I'm posting this now because it looks to be a long wait for another clear sky...

IC1805HSTST_zpsb0924dd1.jpg

IC1805Dark_zpsb091f845.jpg

Melotte15HST_zps90dc7a5f.jpg

ChrisH

Archived