NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Transporting a mount and small scope

Hi all

What does anyone use to move their kit from inside to outside, place to place?

I was thinking of getting something like one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FOLDING-SUPERMARKET-GROCERY-SHOPPING-CAPACITY/dp/B00FHV3S4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408123710&sr=8-1&keywords=folding+trolley+40kg

It's a bit small in terms of useable dimensions but I reckon I could fit everything in, sort of. (Not that I actually have 'everything' but I'm thinking ahead! :) )

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Louise

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Louise.  The trolley in your link would work, and even if you couldn't fit everything in, would greatly reduce the trips from storage to imaging/observing position.  I'd add some foam, some upholstery shops have bins of freebie offcuts outside that may suffice.  Each piece of kit needs some protection from the other bits.

Could also work for transporting in a car, presumably that trolley handle folds down.   The trolley would need to be secured so it doesn't roll around.

So many varied options for moving kit around, but the trolley could be ok.

Regards, Ed.

Recently I have been using my Plumber, but that's his ticket price for observing nights. ;)

If just at home and on the flat (no steps) one of those garden center or DIY shop 4 wheeled with pull handle jobs would I think be perfect.

Might be worth asking the manager if they would sell you one S/H.

Are the wheels a bit small and hard to drag up/down stairs perhaps.

Hi

Maybe - I don't know! Probably ok for getting down the stairs but I suppose I might have to carry it back up. However, once I'm back inside I could split the load and do 2 or three journeys

Then the design of cart you are looking at would be more suitable for stairs, bigger pneumatic wheels would help.

You could maybe even source some foam from an old mattress to make some cut out padding.

I've not seen anything with bigger wheels that's foldable - I'm open to suggestions / ideas!

The one you show should work and at that price is sensible. More industrial and heavier and far more expensive items are available but I doubt that they would be suitable for your circumstances.

Bigger equals heavier and already you are battling with stairs and weight.

I have an industrial type trolley that can hold 100kg + but I doubt that even empty you'd manage the stairs with it. My plumber borrows it for shifting cast iron oil burning boilers!

Hi Rich

Yeah and I'm not big and muscley like a plumber either! I haven't even got the mount yet, let alone laptop and battery! But once I have the VX I ordered I'll check it out to see whether I'll be able to fit it in. If it looks feasible I'll get the folding trolley and give it whirl! If it's no good for that then I'm sure I'll still find a use for it :)

Thanks

Louise

My wife had a cheaper alternative for transporting school books from her car to classroom. It is a bit of a disaster so my advice is don't buy cheap! Keeps wanting to collapse.

The one you have picked looks tough enough though.

Mark

My wife had a cheaper alternative for transporting school books from her car to classroom. It is a bit of a disaster so my advice is don't buy cheap! Keeps wanting to collapse.

The one you have picked looks tough enough though.

Mark

Hopefully! It says 40kg but not sure how flimsy it might be or the exact internal dimensions but it's not terribly expensive so maybe worth a shot. 

Pneumatic tyres or some form of spring suspension / damping would be more suitable. What about folding pram! Prams fit through doors, and balance fairly well when traversing stairs, built in rain-covers, seatbelts to keep items in their place ?

Pneumatic tyres or some form of spring suspension / damping would be more suitable. What about folding pram! Prams fit through doors, and balance fairly well when traversing stairs, built in rain-covers, seatbelts to keep items in their place ?

Hmm I don't think a pram would be very practical and not really what they are meant for!

neither was a supermaket trolly meant too carry 150mm Sky-watchers and associated kit. I tried an idea that had solid wheels, and unless you insulate the contents, it will send shockwaves through your scope, easy upsetting the collimation? Its the wheels or suspension that needs attention, thats my point. You did ask for thoughts and recommendations. That was my recommendation.

I suppose my personal preference for a portable (wheelable!) setup would be (indeed once was) based on something like an AZ3 mount. The tripod and integral head would then fit inside one of the larger *Tripod* bags -- Do an image search on "Gitzo Bag" to see the sort of thing I mean! That can be slung from  / across your shoulder. Still a fairly heavy, cumbersome, if you (like me anyway!) are not at the peak of fitness. :p

As for telescope, I feel the AZ3 limits you to something like an ST102 (Better still a small APO) or a MAK127 (at most). The scope plus eyepieces goes into the *trolly*. There are a lot of ABS tool-box trollies but, as noted, small hard plastic wheels aren't comfortable to drag over long distance. They are not QUIET(!) at night, nor long lasting, I suspect. It might be possible to replace the small wheels with larger Pneumatic ones, but in my experience such a project is not particularly easy or successful! :o

I did wonder whether a better solution might based on a GOLF trolly? (I don't play golf!) But such things cope well with "off road" terrain as a default! I suppose the ultimate in golfing luxury is the battery powered variety now? I believe they even come with hands-off remote control, these days.  :D

Sorry the above is rather muddled, but... :)

neither was a supermaket trolly meant too carry 150mm Sky-watchers and associated kit. I tried an idea that had solid wheels, and unless you insulate the contents, it will send shockwaves through your scope, easy upsetting the collimation? Its the wheels or suspension that needs attention, thats my point. You did ask for thoughts and recommendations. That was my recommendation.

Hi I appreciate the input - thanks. I'll only be using a dslr+lens or possibly a small refractor. My 150pds is staying put! Obviously I'll pack stuff to keep it safe. Initially, the plan is to setup just outside. If that goes well I might try pushing the trolley to a nearby park though that would require crossing a busy road...

Cheers

Louise

.........For a small amounts of equipment, there are the school  sized shoulder bags or ruck-sacks to consider. I also have the complete opposite  in extremes  by using a fisherman's Carp barrow, Now that carries loads,  is very heavy but balanced,  but totally suitable for its task, and the  pneumatic tyres are as big as a Cessna's nose wheel? As an aside, when  were out and about, my better half has her handbag, now you know what gets stuffed into  handbags these days, anything and everything? Enjoy your searching  :smiley:

I suppose my personal preference for a portable (wheelable!) setup would be (indeed once was) based on something like an AZ3 mount. The tripod and integral head would then fit inside one of the larger *Tripod* bags -- Do an image search on "Gitzo Bag" to see the sort of thing I mean! That can be slung from  / across your shoulder. Still a fairly heavy, cumbersome, if you (like me anyway!) are not at the peak of fitness. :p

As for telescope, I feel the AZ3 limits you to something like an ST102 (Better still a small APO) or a MAK127 (at most). The scope plus eyepieces goes into the *trolly*. There are a lot of ABS tool-box trollies but, as noted, small hard plastic wheels aren't comfortable to drag over long distance. They are not QUIET(!) at night, nor long lasting, I suspect. It might be possible to replace the small wheels with larger Pneumatic ones, but in my experience such a project is not particularly easy or successful! :o

I did wonder whether a better solution might based on a GOLF trolly? (I don't play golf!) But such things cope well with "off road" terrain as a default! I suppose the ultimate in golfing luxury is the battery powered variety now? I believe they even come with hands-off remote control, these days.  :D

Sorry the above is rather muddled, but... :)

Hi Chris

Thanks. I just ordered a Celestron Advanced VX - my passion is for imaging :) But I live in a second floor flat so I just need something that will enable me to get everything down 2 flights of stairs in one go. That would be mount + tripod, laptop, battery, dslr, cables, torch,  possibly a small refractor or just a camera lens, plus any other small items. I've been doing all my imaging from indoors up til now and I know I just have to bite the bullet and break out!! I'll give the folding trolley I linked to a go, and see how I get  on!

Cheers

Louise

I wouldn't think its a good idea to have a trolly with hard wheels, to pull  up & down stairs with all the electronics inside I personally would be looking for something to carry it in like fishing holdalls or modify and large suitcase with a frame inside to suit your equipment so when the lids shut it holds it in place

I cart my Dobsonian around on this:

Rachel with The Dob

It's a carp trolley used for moving fishing gear around and rated up to something like 80kg. To get it outside I put the trolley out the front first, then the mount, then the OTA, bungee it all up and zip off down to the park - about a 15 minute process all in.

Hope that helps!

DD

Hi Rowan

Thanks for your post but I don't think that would be suitable - it has no sides! I think the folding trolley I originally linked to will probably be ok. Once I get all my kit, I'll get the trolley too and try it out. I was thinking in terms of needing to get everything downstairs in one go. But now I think I'd be ok to do several journeys to the bottom of the stairs which will make things easier. I could then wheel everything out together on the flat :). The only reason for not taking things down and out bit by bit is that I'd feel insecure about leaving the kit unattended.

Louise

[removed word] - I only need get an eq mount + bits down the stairs - glad I don't have a dob like that to contend with! 

Archived