Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Transporting a mount and small scope

I was thinking of maybe packing it into boxes first and then  bungeeing  the boxes to the sack trolley. I used to to do the same thing with a nexstar  when I didn't fancy carrying it.(used to work on a 150 dob too although that didn't need to be crated) Those wheels ont the trolley you linked to are awfully small  so they will not be great for getting down the stairs and will jar on every paving stone. The best trolleys to use are the ones with pneumatic tyres and bearings on the wheels trolleys make a heck of a racket when you are trying to be quiet at night.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rowan

I only have to get the kit outside really. There's a decent patch of ground just outside the flats where I live which I could set up on. It would be a whole new experience for me - having been an armchair imager up til now! I've been re-thinking - the heaviest part will be the vx mount. I doubt anyone will pinch it... So if I simply carry that down first, I then only need to take camera, laptop, battery and cables which I can probably get in a backpack. I don't even have the mount, laptop or battery yet - maybe I can choose a battery and laptop that will be fairly easy to carry. I can't see me being outside for more than maybe a couple of hours at a time so can hopefully keep the battery size down. It's pretty rare for it to be clear here in Glasgow for very long anyway... It must be one of the worst places in the UK for imaging from!

I should get the VX mount on Tuesday so I'll be in a better position to judge.

Cheers

Louise

I've been wondering all day just what you could have typed that the forum software objected to. ;) lol

Its a pity that there isn't a downstairs lockable janitors type cupboard that you could utilize. That would ease your problem.

Look forward to your report on the VX.

I just noticed the system removed the short form of Richard from my earlier post!

Yeah... I really didn't think that one through... But it's what I use on other sites. To be honest the size of the Dob intimidated me, but it's not too bad. The components on their own are very light and it's so fast to set up and go. Not sure how my carp trolley would work out for an EQ mounting with a tripod too.

DD

• 5 months later...

It sounds like you need a tri-wheel stair-climber.

I had a look but the basic ones are in the £200-£300 range, and the powered ones, add a nought to the end. They're also a bit heavy in themselves so may be a bit much.

Archived