NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The most misleading sales description for binoculars?

dannybgoode

Spotted these beauties on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-60-x-70-High-Powered-Mega-Binoculars-Bird-Spotting-Train-Spotting-Scope-BNIB-/400655119758?pt=UK_Photography_Binoculars_Monoculars&hash=item5d48e7f58e

It is the photo of Jupiter that really gets me.  I doubt very much that you would see Jupiter in anything like the detail of what I assume to be a Voyager photo through these gems!

Really annoys me when descriptions mislead like this especially if it leads to disappointment and ultimately someone being put off the hobby.

Has anyone seen any descriptions even more misleading?

Jupiter will look that way through bins............ If you are looking at a poster across the room :D. It is annoying but It seems to be acceptable that astronomy manufacturers can blatently lie via images on the box. :angry5:  :angry5:

Those bins have DON'T BUY!!! written all over them in letters any astronomer should see. Bright orange/red reflective coatings  AND zoom EPs? YECH!!

The problem is that some poor so-and-so will spend their hard-earned on them, in the hopes of getting into astronomy. Vendors like these know full well that their target market are the inexperienced.

For example...look at this Amazon advert:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zennox-Refractor-Telescope-Finder-Erector-Silver/dp/B00HEKGL8E/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Would you buy from a vendor that can't tell the difference between a refractor and a reflector???

Well, folks, I must tell you that I own one of those BSOs [*]. I find it absolutely superb (**).

The ruby coatings impart a delicate blue (***) hue to the image. The field of view is not so wide that you can get lost in it, and you also get two images for the price of one, even at the low-end of the zoom. Also, as well as using ruby coating to exclude the CA-inducing red end of the spectrum from the eyepieces, the manufacturer has also thoughtfully stopped it down at the entrance to the prism-housing to an effective aperture of only 50mm, so that the image-damaging peripheral rays are also excluded. This combines, with the sort of soft-focus (****) one associates with a dodgy sort of movie, to ensure that even the brightest of Moons cannot dazzle you or cause you the embarrassment of uttering the undignified exclamation of delight that may occur if a large crater was sharply resolved.

The epitome of affordable modern engineering!

*  Binocular Shaped Objects

**  As an example of everything a binocular should not be (see approx 5:35 on the video at http://binocularsky.com)

***  i.e. corpse-like

****  Or so I am told

Well, folks, I must tell you that I own one of those BSOs [*]. I find it absolutely superb (**).

The ruby coatings impart a delicate blue (***) hue to the image. The field of view is not so wide that you can get lost in it, and you also get two images for the price of one, even at the low-end of the zoom. Also, as well as using ruby coating to exclude the CA-inducing red end of the spectrum from the eyepieces, the manufacturer has also thoughtfully stopped it down at the entrance to the prism-housing to an effective aperture of only 50mm, so that the image-damaging peripheral rays are also excluded. This combines, with the sort of soft-focus (****) one associates with a dodgy sort of movie, to ensure that even the brightest of Moons cannot dazzle you or cause you the embarrassment of uttering the undignified exclamation of delight that may occur if a large crater was sharply resolved.

The epitome of affordable modern engineering!

*  Binocular Shaped Objects

**  As an example of everything a binocular should not be (see approx 5:35 on the video at http://binocularsky.com)

***  i.e. corpse-like

****  Or so I am told

Steve

Are you saying that hoping to see Jupiter in all its glory as promised by the picture in the listing I optimistic then?

Also, are they likely to damage your eyes in the same way that the movies you refer to are meant to?..

I've just brought an old Telstar 35 x 60. I know I'm a fool but I plan on stripping them down, changing the prisms and swapping for low power oculars. I might get a half decent binocular out of it. Plus for a tenner I have the parts for a cheap 60mm finder if it goes wrong.

However, the description was short. " Binoculars, old measure 35cm by 60cm."

When I get the item, I could have all sorts of fun with the " item does not match description...."!

Archived