Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all

dynamo hum

As I've just joined I feel I should introduce myself :wave:. My name's Paul and I'm currently living in the place where people go to dodge coffins - Southport, Merseyside. I'm originally from Liverpool, so you can see I don't travel well :lol:.

I came across this forum recently and must say it's the most impressive online resource I've found - being UK orientated is a big bonus too. I've practically zero experience of stargazing and don't even have a telescope yet. I'm simply gathering as much knowledge as I can before I make the commitment - though I've a fairy strong idea of what I'd like to do (I'll leave my newbie questions regarding this for the appropriate forum :D). I do have a lot of knowledge of photography, and administrate a quite popular photography forum, so you can assume that I'm going to be very interested in astrophotography. I've just picked up the Covington book on DSLR Astroastronomy - and have 'Turn Left at Orion' winging my way from a US bookstore. Lots of things to read up on, but this forum will make it much more enjoyable. See you around :lol:.

Hi Paul well me thinks you will fit right having some good prior knowledge mainly in the photographic arts you should cope as they say like a duck to water Its amazing just how good an image can be gleaned from simple point and shoot cameras of course using a reasonable telescope for the main light gathering bit yes I am certain you will become yet another asset on the forums nice to have you with us mate :D

hi mate im roger from manchester im a newbie to, i recently bought a sky watcher explorer 130pm and im very pleased with it,i have viewed saturn and its moons with it which was great,people seem to have trouble setting up and polarising the mount but if you take your time and read the instructions properly a few times its easy i cant wait for the next cloud free night gud luk anyway and get yourself a scope you wont regret it.

ROGER. :D

Hi. Paul and welcome to the SGL Forums.

You have made a very appropriate start on your journey into astronomy/astro photography, by choosing those two excellent books.

I am certain your photographic knowledge will prove to be a great asset to you, and probably to some of us as well.

When you are contemplating buying your first telescope, there will be plenty of help and advice for you if you want it.

You only have to ask. :D

Ron. :lol:

Hi Paul

Welcome to SGL. I know Southport well as I lived in Maghull for a big part of my upbringing. Know what you mean about the coffin dodgers :D

Cheers, Martin

Ahhhh now the penny drops I used to think the same of Western SuperMare when I was a young un (must have been having a senior moment again)

Yeah, it's a good place to hang out if you want to feel young again :D. Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds. I was thinking that the huge amounts of beach nearby could even make a great place to venture out with a telescope (once I get one :lol:). I'm also just round the corner from the Fernley Observatory in Hesketh Park. Apparently it has now been refurbished and has a 6" refractor. http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/liverpool/news/ART33358.html

Hi Paul & Welcome to SGL.

Astronomy can be a little daunting when you 1st get into it......But even before getting into the practical stuff theres the big decision of `What scope do i need?` well you`ve narrowed the field down a little bit by saying you would be interested in getting into astrophotography....A good scope on a good EQ mount is what to aim for, this brings you to budget....too many people, including myself end up making rash purchases by choosing almost the 1st scope you see and then find out the scope you have just purchased is not much better than a toy scope.....Plenty of members on here will help to point you in the right direction and steer you away from bad buys.......

In addition to `Turn left of Orion` and your book on Astrophotography. There is a program you can download called Stellarium you can download for free at www.stellarium.org. Myself, as many other members would be lost without it.......

There is so much info to learn when it comes to astronomy.....i find wikipedia a good source, especially when it comes to reading up on messier objects, index catalogue objects and the new general catalogue......But always the best way of learning is getting out there and to physically stargaze.......

Good luck in choosing your 1st scope and Enjoy

Mark

Archived