Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Temp solution to maintain night vision despite glaring streelight.

emadmoussa

I'm still suffering from that nasty streetlight, talks and negotiations are still on with the council to get it shielded.

Anyway, I went out last night in the new house for a quick star test using a small scope. From the new garden I have a more visible portion of southern sky, but the glare of that monster is still a total nuisance. You can ignore it and see things very well through the eyepiece, but a little glance and your night vision will be compromised to  a certain degree.

The solution, red shade sunglasses....yes, you heard me!! Put them on while you're hanging around and just remove them or put them on your forehead them when you look into the eyepiece. This way you reduce the chances of totally losing your night vision adaptation when accidentally come in contact with the white streetlight.

Seems to help actually!!

71f649qCSSL._SL1500_.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good solution - practical, plus look cool at the same time haha! Thankfully the majority of my observing is done in the back garden which doesn't have a light problem. My front garden (Which I'm reluctant to use due to neighbours who never close curtains at night) has several streetlights nearby.

I used to use a Pirates Eye Patch.

Worn over my observing eye when inside or looking at Tablets / screetlights etc. Then just flicked up when at the EP. 

You do have to have a parrot on the shoulder though, which does make you look rather silly!

Ant

Worn over my observing eye when inside or looking at Tablets / screetlights etc. Then just flicked up when at the EP. 

You do have to have a parrot on the shoulder though, which does make you look rather silly!

Ant

Imagine that. The neighbors think I'm creepy enough hanging out in the garden at 3am...I want to see their expressions when I have a pirate eye patch as well :D

Oh dear. I think people must have more money than sense to buy something like that! Please tell me you don't have one? :p

No I don't, but if you don't think dark adaption is important then thats fine. :)

Apologies if I've offended any owners. I think I would just worry about the strange looks such a garment would attract as a beginner. Although I'm sure after a few months of experience, some dropped eyepieces, and annoyingly placed streetlights, I may end up considering one!

Ant

Which Pirate did you get it from?   :laugh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Dental-Protection-Glass-Goggles-for-Curing-Light-LED-Whitening-Lamp-Dentist-/251568910356?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Medical_Equipment_Instruments_ET&hash=item3a92acf014

They're dental UV protection goggles which are meant to protect the eyes form the LED/UV light  - which serve the purpose really since the nuisance streetlights are same as those dentists use.

Ant

I have used one too.... came out of a Chrimo cracker :cool:

I've just removed a post suggesting damage to a streetlight. If you need a reminder, here it is:

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

I negotiated with Lincs CC for the WHITE street lamp outside my wall (5m from the obsy!!) - now that lamp has a timer on it which switches off at 00:30.... great for summer.... but at least it's a small victory!

I've just removed a post suggesting damage to a streetlight. If you need a reminder, here it is:

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

Somebody mentioned shooting the lights I suppose? :D Please guys...let's keep this thread running...

Archived