SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Temp solution to maintain night vision despite glaring streelight.

emadmoussa

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eye patch is the best way, one eye for viewing one eye for doing.

If you are worried what people will think of what you look like in the garden at 3am go get a cooler hobby with designer apparel.

Mike.

I use a pair of them that I bought from astroshop.eu a few ago.  There particularly useful when popping inside to use the facilities!

assuming you pop inside to use the facilities  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I have a Jedi dressing gown with a large hood that I'm sure doesn't attract any strange looks!

hehe i have a Darth Vader onesie  (kids dared me to buy it and ride round on my bike in it... which i did :grin: ) that i sometimes wear at the scope

Slightly off topic, but has any-one tried going to the loo at Kelling Heath after walking off the blackened field?  You're absolutely blinded by the lights in the loos and completely lose your night vision. The first time I did this I completely lost my way in the dark back to the tent as my night vision had gone and ended up totally in the wrong place!!!!!

I soon learnt to shut one eye when going to the loo so I had one to see the way back afterwards, sometimes 2 eyes for as much as I can, or if I remember wear sunglasses.  

It must be horrible to have a constant light on your back garden though.  Is there not a way to fit up some sort of screen between you and the offending light?  Dark curtain draped over a step ladder or something?

Carole 

I'm a bit confused Emad as I thought you had just moved house, or have you only moved a few doors away or something?

You did mentioned something about moving stuff next door at one point, but I did't understand that either.  Did you buy the house next door then?

My neighbours a few doors away used to have a light that came on in the garden if foxes were around, and i used to fit up a sort of shield resting on the fence.  I mentioned it to them and said would they mind turning it off if I am outside and they agreed to turn it off, so I've been pretty lucky.  

The house next door has just been sold and new people will be moving in.  I've already met the buyers and mentioned the astronomy to them and the male partner seemed quite interested, so here's hoping they will also play ball.  

Carole 

I had this problem and now its surfaced again with another light.

Legal advice, as I was here before the light, was that I may have had a case against the lighting people on the grounds of "loss of amenity" because of impact on my astronomical lifestyle and the clincher : A discreet letter, to the electric company and copied to the insurance company, informing them that, at night if visitors had an accident because they could not see where they were walking due to the glare of their light the lighting company would be held responsible for any injuries sustained. The light was shielded. Now I have to start this all over again with another light that was designed to illuminate a small car park that lights up 30m tall trees nearby .

Jeremy.

I'm a bit confused Emad as I thought you had just moved house, or have you only moved a few doors away or something?

You did mentioned something about moving stuff next door at one point, but I did't understand that either.  Did you buy the house next door then?

My neighbours a few doors away used to have a light that came on in the garden if foxes were around, and i used to fit up a sort of shield resting on the fence.  I mentioned it to them and said would they mind turning it off if I am outside and they agreed to turn it off, so I've been pretty lucky.  

The house next door has just been sold and new people will be moving in.  I've already met the buyers and mentioned the astronomy to them and the male partner seemed quite interested, so here's hoping they will also play ball.  

Carole 

Yes, we bought the house next door. And that street light sits exactly in the middle between my old rented house and my new house. I'm in the process now to get it sorted out...if ever..

Archived