Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ngc6992 Veil Neb in Hubble palette

ChrisLX200

So my final image of this object, a total of 2hr 20min H-alpha, 3hrs OIII and 3hrs SII. Processed mainly in StarTools but some steps completed in AstroArt5 and Photoshop.

I'm posting the full frame image plus two crops.

ngc6992HSTfinal_zpse9d416cf.jpg

ngc6992HSTfinalcrop_zpsc4aa4e94.jpg

ngc6992HSTfinalcrop2_zps8cc392d8.jpg

ChrisH

Thanks Mick and Gina :)  I was lucky being able to image right through just 3 nights.

This composition seems to have lost some of the crispyness of the mono images but I think I know how to get it back - a project for a cloudy evening I think!

ChrisH

This composition seems to have lost some of the crispyness of the mono images but I think I know how to get it back - a project for a cloudy evening I think!

Try combing in both raw Ha, SII OIII masters, monoise it, process as normal to get it crispy, then layer the above colour version in. Might work, might not work - it depends on whether you have had to equalise the histogram or not in your colour version (if you have, you may run into noise).

Good work anyway :)

Try combing in both raw Ha, SII OIII masters, monoise it, process as normal to get it crispy, then layer the above colour version in. Might work, might not work - it depends on whether you have had to equalise the histogram or not in your colour version (if you have, you may run into noise).

Good work anyway :)

By coincidence I just finished trying that :)  I wrung some more detail and fainter stars out of it but then lost quality/smoothness somewhere along the line. This was a complete re-stack and process of the lum part, then added in the colour, then tried to re-balance brightness/contrast/colour. Didn't work too well.

ngc6992HST_LRGB_zps61a9093c.jpg

ChrisH

Archived