Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

This last week or so has really reinvigorated my love of astronomy...

GazOC

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how you feel Gaz.

It's also a great tonic just to have some prolonged sunshine on your face, it is very noticable how much happier people seem to be, even just walking the dog.

Seasonal Affected Disorder, is certainly no Myth.

Ron. :D

Crikey, I couldn't help but look at your gear list and get the feeling that you could have done all that with the gear you already have, or am I missing something?....... :D

I think Gaz was alluding to the fact, that the weather had been so bad for such a long time, the recent good spell has allowed a good session of observing to be done.

I hope that's what he meant anyway.

I think Gaz was alluding to the fact, that the weather had been so bad for such a long time, the recent good spell has allowed a good session of observing to be done.

I hope that's what he meant anyway.

Thats exactly what I meant Ron!! :D

Couldn;t agree more, i have been feeling really miserable about the prospects for the weather this winter, which has been borne out by the endless cloud and murk since last yr....

I've had nearly a week of clear skies here, and last night was really the penultimate, my imaging jumped to the next level up - i got my autoguiding finally working down to +- 0.5 arcsecs pinpoint stars for 300s + and imaged M101 and NGC7635 for over an hr using DSLR focus remotely.

What a pleasure, woohoo :hello1:

onwards and upwards here I comet(h) !!

Its been a bit variable for me, a highlight was an observing session at Greg's in darkest Devon (albeit with a gibbous moon) and a week or so back I went out to try a new field in a dark spot out in the hills - and can confirm that its dark! However later that night and ever since the air has been loaded with lots of 'gloopy stuff' which has rendered the back garden largely unusable.

I tried again on Saturday night but my power lead for my mount disintegrated. I was able to cobble another one together from several other leads for other items (for once I was grateful for the moonlight) but its a bit of a botched job.

I'm so looking forward to one of those clear dark nights when I go out from 8/9pm and don't stagger back until about 6am - hopefully it'll happen sooner but otherwise I've got my fingers crossed for Kelling in April. :D

Ironically my wife is hoping for clear skies even more than me. According to Kate, after a decent nights observing I'm apparently quite a nice bloke to be around... :? :D

James

The weather has been so great over the last week that people back home just don't believe me when I say it's been sunny for a week in the UK. The observing has been great and the amount of time has been great for trying out skills like drift aligning. The best bit has been seeing so many more galaxies, clusters and some great chances to view Saturn - a smörgåsbord of astronomy!

For me too, It has also been fantastic.

Not only have I been able to image the ISS, I webcamed (new word there) the Moon, and have completed the observation half of my GCSE Astronomy coursework. :D

Not to mention the extra does of Vitamin D, which made me even MORE cheerful than I usually am! :D

As a newbie I was getting worried that some of you would be blaming me for bad seeing in view of my recent scope purchase. I can now breathe a sigh of relief after reading postings in this thread.

I've had some great views of the moon and the Pleiades with my 6inch dob. Had some trouble locating M42 but got there in the end. Can't seem to get it in my 10mm eyepiece but the 25mm gives a good view. Hopefully I'll get better at targeting.

One thing I would ask, why do the gasses in M42 appear as greyish white at the moment.My mate says he's seen them as blue and on other occasions green (without filters) as well as whitish now and then?

Can't seem to get much luck with detail on Mars yet and haven't found Saturn so far. Never mind, patience and experience will come through!

Oh please do Monkey, there's nothing better than reading a "I've seen Saturn!" post. :D She rises in the East around 8 these nights

.,..and very easy to locate really, look for the 2 brighter stars (Algieba + Regulus ) on the East side of Leo, Saturn is then directly underneath them forming a triangle. Plus it don't twinkle :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 really good nights on the trot now and have spent several hours studying Saturn with my 8 inch dob. This evening was superb - Saturn at 171x with my Nagler 7mm was absolutely beautiful with the cassini division, 2 cloud bands and darkened polar regions on the planetary disk and even glimpses of the crepe ring on show during moments of good seeing.

I've now got an observing chair so was able to sit comfortably watching the planet drift across the 82 degree FoV, then gently nudging it back across the field to begin another leisurly drift .... brilliant :D:lol: :lol:

Nights like this really do re-charge the enthusiam !.

John

Archived