Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arduino Ascom focuser Mark2

tekkydave

to be able to select a star in the FoV and have APT center it exactly in the crosshairs... I use APT with alignmaster for PA and it would make PA an absolute doddle being able to consistantly (and quickly) center on a star. A bit like astrotortilla but (without the endless extracting and solving) using the crosshairs as a reference to move the mount.

Edited by Dave_D

Ok, my focuser is almost completed. It's only fastened with velcro but this works just fine, might keep it as is. Hehe.

nyre8yqa.jpg

Sent from Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk.

Looks very good Robert, is that a separate battery box mounted on the motor/nano box ?  

Just received my 80x60x40 box in the post and thinking about cramming it all in and how it's mounted,  may have to copy this.

A quick general question, when I had mine lashed up on the kitchen table I found it would run with the switch in any position or without the switch (off), and without the battery.

Took me by surprise and I had to double check my connections, I can see the battery and the on/off switch are there for the motor end, the nano end is powered from the usb and will power it all if it is not unplugged.  Am I being oversensitive thinking that it may be nice to be able to turn it all off.   I have found a usb cable on ebay with an inline switch (for pie's) may give that a go.

Thanks,  Mick

A quick general question, when I had mine lashed up on the kitchen table I found it would run with the switch in any position or without the switch (off), and without the battery.

Took me by surprise and I had to double check my connections, I can see the battery and the on/off switch are there for the motor end, the nano end is powered from the usb and will power it all if it is not unplugged.  Am I being oversensitive thinking that it may be nice to be able to turn it all off.   I have found a usb cable on ebay with an inline switch (for pie's) may give that a go.

Thanks,  Mick

Mick, you are correct - the nano gets power from the usb so it will work without the external power. I plan to pull the plug when not in use.
  • Like 1

Looks very good Robert, is that a separate battery box mounted on the motor/nano box ?

Just received my 80x60x40 box in the post and thinking about cramming it all in and how it's mounted, may have to copy this.

Yes, it's a separate battery box. I used it for easier change of battery and with an already built in switch.

Sent from Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Nice one. That's 3 people using the tekkydave AAF Mk2. Any more? :grin:

Come on people, it's a computer controlled motor focuser for sub fifty quid! Tekkydave has made the project extremely easy and it's a very rewarding result.

But.... AAFMk2..... Dave.... you're going to have to think of something more catchy

• Like 1

Come on people, it's a computer controlled motor focuser for sub fifty quid! Tekkydave has made the project extremely easy and it's a very rewarding result.

But.... AAFMk2..... Dave.... you're going to have to think of something more catchy

Suggestions, people :grin:

The main issue I have outstanding with the driver is getting the .NET setup project to auto-register the dll. Any advice there would be appreciated.

You reminded me that I still have to make my own focuser DLL self register, so I did a bit of searching.  Here's a link https://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/visual-studio/build-and-deploy-a-.net-com-assembly/ to an article on this. 

Noel

Nice to see it all come together. Good luck - you could be the first to use it 'in anger'.

I should have put it together earlier but with the spell of good weather I didn't want to upset the optical train, image alignment, flats etc. A change of target tonight was the the perfect opportunity. 

Well... that was a total success. So much easier to focus with known increments and being able to return to a known point.

Dave, I am in your debt. Thank you very much for your hard work.

The following is mostly last nights efforts:

post-11453-0-27336800-1406629906_thumb.j

• Like 3

Great image. Glad my efforts have borne some fruit. I might even get to use it myself someday :grin:. I'm concentrating on getting my pier and seating area (ahem, shed) sorted so I can use everything easier. At the moment I have drag everything down from upstairs each time I want to use it. My plan is to get it all in place ready for the winter observing season. Once I have it all working I'll probably look to upgrade my mount to an AVX.

Great image. Glad my efforts have borne some fruit. I might even get to use it myself someday :grin:. I'm concentrating on getting my pier and seating area (ahem, shed) sorted so I can use everything easier. At the moment I have drag everything down from upstairs each time I want to use it. My plan is to get it all in place ready for the winter observing season. Once I have it all working I'll probably look to upgrade my mount to an AVX.

A roll off roof obsy is high on my list of things to do, alas is doesn't even make the top ten on my wife's list of things to do.

• Like 1

This is something I want to sort out soon.  I have incremental focus control with push buttons which works well but I need to be out in the observatory warm room to control the focus - everything else (except opening and closing the roof) I can do from indoors.  Remote wifi focussing would be good - automatic focussing would be even better :)

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1