Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gunnar latitude mod completed on my NEQ6 mount

red dwalf

looks like the weather is rubbish for the next few nights so thought i would do the latitude mod on the NEQ6 mount, had trouble before with the bolt slipping under the latitude cam something that`s not uncommon in these higher latitudes, the latitude bolt now feels much more solid and stable.

here are a few pictures of the mod.

http://www.robslack1.webspace.virginmedia.com/latitude%20mod.html

i was looking for some way of doing something as my latitude adjuster started to slip under the cam, wouldn`t go above about 51 degrees so i had to helicoil the thread on the mount as the lat bolt was moving up and down a fair bit and the hole was starting to become more oval than round, and helicoiling helped alot, made the bolt firm again but was always worried it could happen again or than there was too much strain and weight pressing down on the bolt therefore always trying to push in downwards, it`s a terrible design really, anyway after doing some googling for ideas i found a guy on SGL that made these kits, here`s the thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/161907-neq6-tuning-kit/

looked good so ordered ordered and fitted it, would have taken me a little head scratching to sort it out myself so saved alot of time. 

Thanks red dwalf.

A friend told me about this mod a while back but i didnt know he was knocking them out.

Will have to order myself one,summer project i think along with a new puck to strengthen things up.

Tottally agree..poor design.

Kenny

I've just ordered one of these kits from Gunnar - can anyone let me know where to get replacement discs in case I break them please?

Thanks

Steve

First Light should sell you a set (or you can just leave them off- not essential)

Steve,from experience use a very strong fine wire and use two handles and make a cheese wire ,you will find by lifting very gently one point with a sharp pointy thing you can get both discs off neatly,i`ve done this on 3 mounts no casualties  :eek: .

Regards

Mike

with you there Daz, 

i feel more comfortable now about moving the mount with the latitude bolts, was always worried before that it might slip under the cam again one day, but now feels very firm and solid.

took me longer last night to do a proper polar alignment with the mount now fitted on it`s pier than it did to complete the mod L.O.L.

• 1 month later...

I had done the Gunnar mod on my NEQ6 pro and it worked very well.

Then the NEQ6 wedge came out and it did everything I wanted.

So the Gunnar "bits" are probably going to a new home on one of our society members NEQ6

Recycling at its best.

I used one of those knifes with blades you can snap off, don't know what they are called in English. Anyway, the blade is quite flexible and I could easily just cut my way around the disc without damage. Any thin flexible knife will probably the trick.

Archived