Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DON'T PANIC

Dreadz

People of South Wales, DON'T PANIC, there are a large number of small silvery white lights in the sky. We are not, I repeat, NOT under attack from aliens. Google tells me these small white lights are STARS and a large device I found under my stairs, once I had reacquainted myself with its use, has confirmed this. I can also confirm that Mars and Saturn are still there, however the almost full moon has prevented me from checking if other galaxies prevail. I must now call off my search for I must be up early for work. Sleep well and rest assured, the stars are still there :)

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:grin:

I have just woke up and on my way to the kitchen I had a quick look out and couldn't believe that I could see some twinkles in the sky, its been ages since we have had a few clear patches. wish I had woke earlier though to get the scope out, bit late to bother now  :sad: by the time I sort everything out it will soon getting light.

Are you sure it wasn't all just a dream? :grin:

The weather hasn't even given me the chance to look for M83 this spring so far. There's two weekends at the end of this month as a last chance so if the weather doesn't play ball it will be a case of waiting another year!! :mad:

The situation is getting desperate - I've just placed an order for a Zarkov gun from FLO......

can some one talk me thru /show me how to see " small silvery white lights in the sky"

Step 1: Move somewhere other than UK.

Step 2: Wait until dark.

Step 3: Point scope at sky

:)

People of South Wales, DON'T PANIC, there are a large number of small silvery white lights in the sky. We are not, I repeat, NOT under attack from aliens. Google tells me these small white lights are STARS and a large device I found under my stairs, once I had reacquainted myself with its use, has confirmed this. I can also confirm that Mars and Saturn are still there, however the almost full moon has prevented me from checking if other galaxies prevail. I must now call off my search for I must be up early for work. Sleep well and rest assured, the stars are still there :)

Hi Dreadz;

What area of Swansea do you live in?  :huh:  :huh:  :grin:  :grin:

I did manage to see Jupiter very low on the Western Horizon, looked around to try and see Saturn and Mars, but got a nice view of some new cloud formations.  Did occasionally see the moon peeking through.

Still, according to several Internet forecast I've looked at, tomorrow night (Tuesday/Wednesday Morning), looks great. Cloudless and very good visibility. That's over Swansea.

Looking out of my window right now. Mostly cloudy in the SW, Cloudy in the West, Partly cloudy in the South.

Cheers

@scorpio1948 I'm SA4 not far from the Loughor estuary. If memory serves from one of yr previous posts you've moved to my wife's old neck of the woods, monkeytown :)

I've not been doing astronomy for very long but just recently its either been cloudy or the seeing had been awful. Hopefully tomorrow night will be better. Fingers crossed :)

Hi Dredz,

I know your area well, worked near there for a few years during the construction of the M4. Although I bet it's changed quite a bit since then.

Yup, good old Monkeytown  :smiley: , actually, we moved back here after a brief spell in the new SA1 development, good view over Swansea Bay, buy apartment living didn't suit me or my wife, plus the light pollution was terrible. :sad:

The weather sites I use are still holding out for a clear night, after a few afternoon showers, so I'm not setting up too early. 

I guess it will be my last chance at Jupiter for a while (I have the DVLA on my Western Horizon which the planet hides behind).

Anyway, hope you get some good viewing tonight. 

Cheers

Pete.

I'm really limited horizon-wise from my back garden so jupiter will probably be out of sight for me by the time its reasonably dark but am enjoying getting to know saturn at the moment and the moon will probably put pay to any chance of tracking down the faint fuzzies.

Fingers crossed :)

If we don't get a chance to observe tonight that will be the 9th night on the trot which is the longest single observing drought in the last two years in my neck of the woods- mega depressing was hoping to catch Saturn at opposition but still a good chance in the next week fingers crossed

If we don't get a chance to observe tonight that will be the 9th night on the trot which is the longest single observing drought in the last two years in my neck of the woods- mega depressing was hoping to catch Saturn at opposition but still a good chance in the next week fingers crossed

Its going to be good tonight  :smiley:

Looking Good up to 4:30 AM then light clouds start to roll in.

@ Helen...Pity your exams weren't on Astronomy, then you would have an excuse. :laugh:   Still there are a few clear nights coming our way. Best of luck with your exams. 

Cheers All

Pete.

Hi 

What exam are you taking Helen? Anything exciting?

The wind has taken over from the clouds here, so without lashing the 'scope down tonight is still looking dodgy.  :sad:

Hi Ben,

According to the Met Office Direct the wind speeds will be dropping overnight, between 8 and 12 MPH, depending what part of S.Wales you are in, but Brecon can get the odd gusts of 18 MPH.

Pete.

Looking Good up to 4:30 AM then light clouds start to roll in.

@ Helen...Pity your exams weren't on Astronomy, then you would have an excuse. :laugh:   Still there are a few clear nights coming our way. Best of luck with your exams. 

Cheers All

Pete.

What exam are you taking Helen? Anything exciting?

The wind has taken over from the clouds here, so without lashing the 'scope down tonight is still looking dodgy.  :sad:

Well actually......I'm doing an astronomy degree!!! Tomorrow is Galaxies second year exam (thankfully only 40% of the course though as its been 25 years since I last sat exams and my brain doesn't retain things like it use to!)

While I am naturally nocturnal, the exam is at 9:30 so I can't risk adding extra tiredness to stress tomorrow! Might just have a quick look at the moon as a wind-down before bed though :wink:

I've got to do a presentation on Monday and that's it for the year :smile: Although I'm really enjoying the course, I am looking forward to getting my life back next week!!

Helen

I hope all goes well for you Helen for you exams and presentation just the moons MOOC course with OU which was damm good finished with 87% looking to do astronomy course in the Autaum, PS had two wonderful nights viewing up at the site Tues, Wed with promise of Fri & Saturday to boot!

Well actually......I'm doing an astronomy degree!!! Tomorrow is Galaxies second year exam (thankfully only 40% of the course though as its been 25 years since I last sat exams and my brain doesn't retain things like it use to!)

While I am naturally nocturnal, the exam is at 9:30 so I can't risk adding extra tiredness to stress tomorrow! Might just have a quick look at the moon as a wind-down before bed though :wink:

I've got to do a presentation on Monday and that's it for the year :smile: Although I'm really enjoying the course, I am looking forward to getting my life back next week!!

Helen

How did the exam go ?

Hope it was OK for you

Cheers

Pete.

Archived