Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APM 152ED with Starlight Focuser Review

jam1e1

Hi,

Plan to carry out this review in parts / stages as haven't had much time to use and have a play so far. I've upgraded from a SW120ED so will use this for comparison where possible. Got this second hand, not new

Case & Size

The case compared to the SW120ED is about 10 cm bigger in each dimension, hence that little bit more bulky. Initial impressions are the case has a slight flimsy feel to it compared the SW120ED, this was a bit of a surprise considering cost differential. It may be due to larger dimensions that it just has a little more 'give' in the panels. On the plus side there are handles at each end as well as top so 3 in total, SW120 has just 1. Minor point but if you want to stand case on end, the handle protrudes so does cause seal of case to not sit flush hence best laid flat.

Size comparison:

post-8760-0-55280600-1399873014_thumb.jp

OTA in Case:

post-8760-0-00585000-1399873017_thumb.jp

The internal foam is softer type, not quite as firm as the square blocky types found in maplins flight cases, but it sufficient to provide required cushioning in transit.

OTA Size & Dew Shield

The APM scope is notably larger and more unevenly weighted due to larger Objective. Not an issue, but just need to take more care when mounting.

120ED vs APM152:

post-8760-0-74077100-1399873019_thumb.jp

The Dew shield is retractable via small compression knob, nice feature to be able to extend this, otherwise case would be excessively long. Extending and retracting is smooth to feel and doesn't scratch OTA, has quality feel to it. 

Shield retracted:

post-8760-0-17833900-1399873021_thumb.jp

Shield extended:

post-8760-0-62682300-1399873020_thumb.jp

Focuser

Previously I wouldn't have gone out of way to upgrade from standard DS focuser as met my needs up to not. The one included is the 3" Starlight, overall from never having used or seen one before, it really does have a quality and precision feel to it, really well engineered and goes well of a scope of this quality :)

Focuser:

post-8760-0-57241700-1399873016_thumb.jp

For the 'un-initiated', there starting from furthest right, there are 3x locking nuts for rotating focuser, great feature when at odd angles. The big wide one at top (also another you cannot see at bottom) locks the focus in place. The actual focuser appears to have 3 focus modes depending which knob is used - coarse, finer and fine. These have a really smooth feel to them and you can certainly tell the refined engineered feel. There are 3 longer thinner nuts for compression rings for diagonal or camera. The finder shoe has 2x nuts for locking in the finder. My only slight criticism is that the shoe fits so flush its a bit difficult to take finder back out again, although may just be mine.

Lens

This has more of a blue / purple type hue to it when compared to SW120 which has greener tint. Either way looks clear and well engineered.

As shown:

post-8760-0-55140100-1399873017_thumb.jp

Finder

This is really well engineered and comes with 2x guide rings. There is a separate eyepiece that fits in and has a focusing ring to it. There are also cross-hairs in the scope. Has a quality feel to focusing and a clear view. Not sure on magnification bit feels a wider FOV than standard 9x50 SW model when got glimpse in between clouds.

post-8760-0-92374000-1399873015_thumb.jp

OTA mounted

Fits ok on SkyTee2, need to take more care with balance as its more front heavy than SW120ED. Had a very brief glimpse of Mizar, de-focused on inner and outer focus, got really clear rings / airy discs - not really expert in this area but the rings appeared finer and more pronounced / detailed than 120ED

post-8760-0-67641000-1399873018_thumb.jp

post-8760-0-05046500-1399873018_thumb.jp

post-8760-0-67641000-1399873018_thumb.jp

Haven't really had chance to properly review and star test as yet due to our grey moisture laden 'friends', but will continue review once clear skies occur once again :)

Jamie

Fabulous looking scope Jamie, I look forward to hearing about your views with it. The focuser arrangement looks very nice indeed.

I seriously considered getting one of these. Ended up with the Vixen which I guess will be a very similar experience so would be good to compare.

How does the SkyTee cope with it?

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting report Jamie  :smiley:

I've followed the APM 152 ED doublet since it's launch and, as the current owner of an ED120 as well, I'll be very interested to hear about it's optical performance as it's definitely on my "wish list".

I seem to recall that it's weight is rather modest for a 6" refractor, so mounting it should not be as much of a challenge as my 6" F/12 Istar refractor is !

Nice report and I look forward to seeing more from you on this as you get the time to use it. It looks a very nice scope indeed and I know how good APM gear is. My only trouble is if I want one I would have to get a new mount even if it is a light-weight, I've had the 120ED on my mount and I thought that was the limit.

Alan.

Fabulous looking scope Jamie, I look forward to hearing about your views with it. The focuser arrangement looks very nice indeed.

I seriously considered getting one of these. Ended up with the Vixen which I guess will be a very similar experience so would be good to compare.

How does the SkyTee cope with it?

Cheers,

Stu

Thanks Stu, yes would be good to compare at some point, at this rate may not be until after summer!

Mounted once so far, appears fine so far as long as balanced. Will need to try few more times to get better conclusion.

Wow, that looks like a beast. It is almost twice the aperture of my 80ED!

I was wondering why the weather is so foul :)

Do you plan on doing some imaging through it?

Yes Chris it does feel a lot more substantial! Definitely will try planetary, may try DSO at some point but as don't have fixed pier as yet, mainly focused on visual at the moment.

Very interesting report Jamie  :smiley:

I've followed the APM 152 ED doublet since it's launch and, as the current owner of an ED120 as well, I'll be very interested to hear about it's optical performance as it's definitely on my "wish list".

I seem to recall that it's weight is rather modest for a 6" refractor, so mounting it should not be as much of a challenge as my 6" F/12 Istar refractor is !

Thanks John. Forgot to mention it also comes with a handle, did some DIY drilling to Vixen bar yesterday to make correct spacing so could use handle with it - this will be a real bonus. Don't think included in photos, the rings/handle have the ADM type feel to them.

Yes the mounting will be way easier than the F12!! :) The weight overall isn't too bad to be honest, its not that much more than 120ED, although more uneven. I normally clamp the scope & rings into the ADM saddle - with this new scope ill have to use other way of clamping rings in then put scope in - you end up as really awkward angles if not!

J

Nice report and I look forward to seeing more from you on this as you get the time to use it. It looks a very nice scope indeed and I know how good APM gear is. My only trouble is if I want one I would have to get a new mount even if it is a light-weight, I've had the 120ED on my mount and I thought that was the limit.

Alan.

Thanks Alan, what mount have you got? I'll let you know more on how ST2 handles once get more time to play! Initially seems to be ok, its more dampening due to vibrations that may be an issue. J

Very nice Jamie ..... Never looked through an ED APM but my experiance of APM's is they are fantastic scopes well thought out and a joy to use....sure you will love the APM, and the 3" feathertouch is worlds apart from other focusers.

Minor update to review around the scope rings.

The scope came with a Losmandy type dovetail bar, scope rings and carry handle. Had a bit of a dilemma, as the handle is a very useful feature for scope of this size, but this only fits with the Losmandy dovetail, not the Vixen due to hole spacings. I want to use scope with both AZEQ6 and ST2, also have the handle attached to use.

Although Losmandy dovetail fits AZEQ6 fine, the ST2 doesn't appear to have a compatible dual style clamp (looked at ADM dual clamp, although hole spacing's don't appear suitable). Hence decided to use the scope with the Vixen bar without handle, hence photos above.

Subsequent to initial review, took a drill to my Vixen bar this weekend and drilled additional 2 holes so could use handle, problem now solved :)

Doesn't look quite as 'smart' as Losmandy dovetail option, but suits needs for now. 

As can see from photo, the handle is sturdy & solid, very well machined and no sharp edges :

post-8760-0-34016000-1400012259_thumb.jp

Now just hoping for some clear skies soon........

Got a brief first light session in last night - full moon , bit of light cloud but got to make most of less than ideal conditions. Just a brief summary as didn't stay out for too long.

Jupiter was 1st target, seeing was bad and was also over someone's house so not best placed. Couldn't really make out too much more than seen in 120ed so will have to give another go when better conditions. Mars was similar, this was more seeing so again will reserve judgement to another time.

Saturn was next target, this is where could tell a difference! Whilst moon was near and seeing wasn't great, was later in the evening and did get patches of good seeing. Used with 12mm t4 nagler, could make out Cassini division quite clearly when patches were good. Also could make out subtle banding on Saturn itself, only one but don't recall seeing same detail in 120ed. Despite Saturn not being best placed, promising results with tangible difference, will look forward to viewing when better placed.

Hopped over to Cygnus constellation, nowhere specific but put the 24mm uwa meade in to view star fields and open clusters. The 152 gives a noticeable and subtle difference to stars - richer reds, subtle differences between yellow tinged white stars and blue tinged white stars, excellent sharpness , overall a small subtle difference that actually does give a more pleasurable observing difference. Appear to get more variety of colour hues, less of a 'monochrome' viewing experience.

Moved over to m13, back to 12mm, again wasn't best placed but the outer stars were more defined and distinguishable, cluster was less of a smudge with added definition towards outer edge.

Again brief review due to variable conditions, but a start at least :)

Glad you got a first light, but conditions were rubbish here tonight so in sure there will be much more to come when you get some good seeing and that moon has gone away.

Fingers crossed you get a good session soon.

Stu

Archived