SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BIG dob owners - who built your scope?

If you're going to have one built, you might as well just bite the bullet and go for one of these. I hear they cure aperture fever quite nicely!

If I could afford to build it I probably would. I'd probably have to live in it but at least the views from my window would be good :)

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be the scope body kit from poland. He's made modifications to make it work with synscan go to on some but nexus would be easily compatible as would servo cat if i can afford it in the future :)

post-34897-0-72089500-1399802694_thumb.j

post-34897-0-41292200-1399802696_thumb.j

I have a 16" Sumerian Canopus from Sumerian Optics in The Netherlands. Can't fault the scope or the service I received from Michael. Had the optics made by John Nichol, and also have nothing but praise for the service and quality of the end product.

I am also in the midst of building my own 16" dob along the lines of the Canopus. Most likely with this one the optics will be off the shelf though as I am building it on a bit of a budget.

Dave.

I have always wanted to build a scope, and it seemed a good project to begin. I am hoping to have everything finished within a year of beginning, so I has better get a move on.

The secret plan is to keep one permanently at my girlfriends house, rather than have to keep shuttling a scope back and forth if there's a hint of clear skies. I haven't told her this part of the plan as yet, so wish me luck!

I know I wouldn't be building my own scope in the true sense of it but I just dont have the tools or space to fabricate one from scratch so buying the parts seems the only way I'm going to achieve the scope I want at a budget I can live with.

I may contact David Lukehurst again and see how much a scope with no optics would cost. Can't imagine it will be less than the £850 for the scope body from Poland though.

This would be the scope body kit from poland. He's made modifications to make it work with synscan go to on some but nexus would be easily compatible as would servo cat if i can afford it in the future :)

attachicon.gifIMG_8467.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8462.jpg

assuming they are built as well as they look and he is selling for £850 shipped then I'd bite his hand off.

make no mistake, building (i.e. making) a large dob from scratch is a superb, rewarding, time consuming, cost saving (potentially if you have the tools), frustrating, scary, divorce risking (not really but it does suck up a lot of time), and eventually thrilling experience.

in all honesty you can potentially buy one for less money than you can make one for (e.g. the 'big blue' 22" that was sold quite recently was a snip) but if you (or someone for you) make one to your specification it is a true delight to use if done well.

personally, I am not doing any more until I retire,  other than the odd conversion of my own scopes, as they just take up too much valuable family time. 

"I use waterproof plywood. For bigger scopes >20", I use three layers (3+10/12/15+3mm inner layer thickness depends on that where the part goes). 

In inner layer I make holes et. to make it lighter but it's still stiff. On the pics is birch plywood but I found nice exotic one recently and want to use it for the next projects."

I'm no expert but he certainly seems to know what he's doing.

He did say the kit would be shipped with some parts still needing to be assembled (glued, screwed etc) but everything is marked ready and kit includes dual speed gso focuser.

Just need the cash in my account!

I just wouldnt put a huge amount of money into getting a 20" 1/10pv mirror when its main aim is for DSO's, you'll notice the difference between ultra high grade and standard optics on solar system objects and much less on DSO's.

I just wouldnt put a huge amount of money into getting a 20" 1/10pv mirror when its main aim is for DSO's, you'll notice the difference between ultra high grade and standard optics on solar system objects and much less on DSO's.

I'm putting the 1/10th out of my mind. The 1/8th from Nichol will be far more than adequate no doubt and free up more cash for ep's :)

The Orion 1/10 is favourably tested anyway according to reports.John doesn't certify above 1/8 wave anyway he just lists his better than 1/8 so you will likely get a 1/10 wave anyway :)

I think luckhirst would charge you atkeast £2000 for a 20" shell judging by his finished prices.£850 seems to cheap to me.it won't be birch ply for a start.I would ask to see the mirror cell too as this is one of the expensive bits where savings aren't well made!

I am pondering larger dobs myself,waiting for a used Obsession to surface....an 18" went for $3500.00 is USA,in great shape and not old.In the meantime learning about dobs is a good passtime.I want portability and Teeters arrangement looks good to decrease set-up time.What are anyones thoughts about rigidity?This departs from the proven classic Obsession style(excellent) truss attachment.

Mine was built by a first time Dob builder called Dennis. (I won't put his full name on the net without permission and he built just one for his own use then sold it on UKABS where I found it.)

My point is this; you need a bit of courage to buy a big Dob. I just looked at this one fairly carefully. It moved very nicely. The mirror was a standard issue Beacon Hill 20 inch F4.1. The design was from David Kreig's book. Cosmetic finish was not Obsession but what could really be wrong with it that one couldn't sort out? It was big and strong. Lots of people had looked at it and dithered. I just bought it for £1400, saying to myself that I'd fix anything that needed fixing.

In fact it worked nicely, especially for the price. In time it transpired that the secondoary was introducing astigmatism and our guest and friend Ralf Ottow (rather well known in the Netherlands) made us a new secondary to his usual standard and kindly fitted it and tickled it all up. Now it really is not at all a bad scope and as a big light bucket does just what you want it to do. Make faint things bright! It has been working here for nearly ten years without a hitch.

If you want a work of art then fine, but beautiful and expensive woodwork will not give you better views. Think of John Dobson's original vision. Big, cheap, simple, and, for heaven's sake, look through it not at it!

Olly

@ollypenrice couldn't agree more. Whilst it would be nice to have an artisan crafted sculpture like a sumerian my primary aims are to get decent optics in a sturdy reliable scope that ideally breaks down quickly and easily for storage and doesn't get me divorced for spending too much! Dont really care what it looks like. Won't be able to see it in the dark with one eye on the ep and a patch on the other :)

Its ok saying look through it not at it but if you are spending your hard earned cash you really need to look at it if you cant see through it!

At the end of the day you need a rigid and strong scope which will hold collimation and give you great views all night long.

it's all about compromise. compromise on beauty and you possibly have something more sturdy and robust. compromise on optics and you can afford a bigger mirror. compromise on weight and you have something more mobile but maybe less robust. compromise on materials and you have to put more effort in finishing. something has to give somewhere but there are around 100 ways to skin a cat. 

Archived