SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BIG dob owners - who built your scope?

As many of you are probably aware I'm looking at buying a big dob in the near future but am also very keen to keep costs down without sacrificing quality of optics. I've looked at Lukehurst and Sumerian and have been put in contact with another gentleman who builds dobs but would be interested to know who built your giant dobs?

Have emailed a guy in Poland who's advertising on ABS and could buy the body parts for a 20inch scope for £850 shipped. £3800 for 20" 1/10th optics from oouk and I'd have a serious amount of scope for just over £4.5k.

Can anyone help me find the BIG dob I yearn for for less cash?

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cheaper but not lesser mirror check out Nichol optical or do as am, make your own!I'm estimating my 22" f3.6 with secondary and coating will stand me less than £1500 and the rest of the scope should be just less than £2000 including an 80mm finderscooe and a feathertouch and coma corrector.

Me ;)

I couldn't afford the best so I built my own. Mine is an obsession/webster copy.

I'd love to build my own, am fairly confident in my ability to do it but there are a few major flaws in that plan.

1: I have neither the tools nor the workspace to construct a scope :(

2: With the amount of spare time I actually get I'd probably be 60 by the time I finish building it :(

A cheaper but not lesser mirror check out Nichol optical or do as am, make your own!I'm estimating my 22" f3.6 with secondary and coating will stand me less than £1500 and the rest of the scope should be just less than £2000 including an 80mm finderscooe and a feathertouch and coma corrector.

I'm a little less confident in my ability to grind a decent mirror! That's got to be a fairly skilled task?

Oh for the edit privilege! Was looking at Nichol Optical earlier as it goes. 20 inch f4.2 mirror set 1/8th with hilux on special offer £2850. Will I ever get seeing good enough to get the most out of 1/10th optics in the UK? Is it worth the extra £1000?

@swamp thing I have drooled over the obsession and webster scopes time and time again but an 18 or 20 inch shipped and then inevitably stung by customs would be waaaaay over my budget. I'm guessing but at very most I may be able to stretch to 5k if I'm extremely lucky.

Oh for the edit privilege! Was looking at Nichol Optical earlier as it goes. 20 inch f4.2 mirror set 1/8th with hilux on special offer £2850. Will I ever get seeing good enough to get the most out of 1/10th optics in the UK? Is it worth the extra £1000?

John's 1/8 wave won't be any less than Orion optics 1/10 so don't worry about that :)

+2 Nichol optic

I have, unfortunately, not had the opportunity to use any of John's optics. I can say that having met John and thoroughly enjoyed one of his mirror grinding talks, he is an absolute gentleman and truly affable chap, who will go out of his way to advise or help you.

Ian

I was at his house today having my mirror checked.if it wasn't for a mirror making seminar with John I wouldn't have started grinding my own mirror.

how did you get on, was it good

Have read good things about Nichol optics and given the glowing recommendations from several of you seems like a sensible option. Leaves more to spend on EPs too :)

Any suggestions on diy scope body kit? The scope body kit from Pawel in poland (astrofaktoria) looks pretty good though and cheapest I've found yet.

For some reason though tapatalk wont let me attach pic right now though!

how did you get on, was it good

Yeah just needed edge deeping a bit to get to sagitta which I knew and I got some info on how to get the sphere back after I had got back to sagitta.have done two hours today and back to 10mm sagitta and did half an hour generating a sphere so hopefully another hour or two and I can switch grits.be ready for a pitch lap in a week or two and need to make a ronchi tester too.John is a great help,and when I do my next grind I'm going to get a slumped 26" blank from him :)

Archived