Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen SG 2.1x42 Binocular

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael - I've put a couple of pictures of the eyepieces here - http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/3214-vixen-widefield-binoculars/

@TheMightyKong - there will be demo units and stock at the IAS

HTH, Pete

Thanks. The eye lenses are slightly recessed, but I don't think I could elegantly attach Dioptrix lenses (there's always duck tape ;) , but I would like something better)

Hi, any chance FLO will bring a pair to IAS in 2 weeks for me to try +/- buy?? Would really like to look through and see if it feels right for me...

Yes  :smile:

My own Vixen SG 2.1x42 will be our demo unit at the show and we will have a number available to buy on the day. 

FWIW it's been a long time since I enjoyed a binocular this much. It offers a view different from any other binocular I have tried. I also look ridiculous when using it because they look like goggles and magnify your eyes!  :blink:

Steve 

Yes  :smile:

My own Vixen SG 2.1x42 will be our demo unit at the show and we will have a number available to buy on the day. 

FWIW it's been a long time since I enjoyed a binocular this much. It offers a view different from any other binocular I have tried. I also look ridiculous when using it because they look like goggles and magnify your eyes!  :blink:

Steve 

For that cute lemur look?

367542727_71dcae69ce_o.jpeg

Ian, if I may ask, how short sighted are you? I'm also myopic and plan to use these without glasses, my weakest eye is about -5 (just under actually) and I hope these can accommodate that.

I'm not 100% on my prescription as I cannot find the paperwork, but I'm pretty bad in my right eye, e.g. reading 12pt text printed out I need to hold it to within 10 inches of my face to read it if that helps. If you can try them, i would, as you need to wind the EPs inwards to get focus on furthest off objects. if you are going to IAS, try them there if you can on a distant tree. 

Steve 

My wife modelled them for me:

2014 05 21 09.41.47

OK, been busy the last few days but I got a good evening outside with just these and a sun lounger over the weekend under very clear skies.

Spent a good hour or so just scanning the night skies and they really are very very good. There were no nasty internal reflections or weird flare issues. I just spent the evening scanning. It is very hard to describe, so stay with me. It is a little like having super vision as the image doesn't really feel magnified much, if at all (but is), but does look much brighter and clearer than your normal vision. Just looking naked eye and with these, i suggest maybe a magnitude more, maybe two, is what you get.

So scanning Ursa Major, you get all the main stars rather than the usual seven. Once your eye is "in" you start to see things you don't see with your naked eye and which are lost through a scope/normal bins. It is also very immersive in that if you remember to just look straight ahead you don't really see the edges of the image. Just remember to move your head rather than your eyes when scanning. It is something you have to try.

Gave it a rest for a couple of hours and went and watched TV until around 1:30 a.m. waiting for the Milky Way to clear my Eastern horizon/trees. Back outside and up to the top of the garden.

Just Wow, with a couple of expletives. Cygnus area was my main focus and it is really rather lovely. But I scanned for around 3/4 hour up and down the Milky Way and was blown away by what more you can see. I would even argue you could see "more" then with say an 8x bino or a low power scope setup. Just amazing. They did say these bins were ideal for scanning the Milky Way and Vixen are not wrong. I must have seen a lot of things I've never seen through a scope.

By this time I was getting rather tired so time for bed.

They really are amazing. Setup time? Ten seconds :) And you know what, I didn't spend all the time using them thinking "I wish I had a better EP or bigger scope". I'm not one for hyperbole, but would go so far as to say with these you have a completely different view of the night sky. Wish I had a pair when i used to do imaging, that would have complemented that well.

Bottom line? 10/10 for everything. Vixen have nailed it. If I had to pick any holes at all I would say the lens caps are a little loose but that is easily fixed.

Cheers

Ian

Bottom line? 10/10 for everything. Vixen have nailed it. If I had to pick any holes at all I would say the lens caps are a little loose but that is easily fixed.

My thoughts precisely. But it sounds better coming from you :glasses2: 

Steve

OK, been busy the last few days but I got a good evening outside with just these and a sun lounger over the weekend under very clear skies.

Spent a good hour or so just scanning the night skies and they really are very very good. There were no nasty internal reflections or weird flare issues. I just spent the evening scanning. It is very hard to describe, so stay with me. It is a little like having super vision as the image doesn't really feel magnified much, if at all (but is), but does look much brighter and clearer than your normal vision. Just looking naked eye and with these, i suggest maybe a magnitude more, maybe two, is what you get.

So scanning Ursa Major, you get all the main stars rather than the usual seven. Once your eye is "in" you start to see things you don't see with your naked eye and which are lost through a scope/normal bins. It is also very immersive in that if you remember to just look straight ahead you don't really see the edges of the image. Just remember to move your head rather than your eyes when scanning. It is something you have to try.

Gave it a rest for a couple of hours and went and watched TV until around 1:30 a.m. waiting for the Milky Way to clear my Eastern horizon/trees. Back outside and up to the top of the garden.

Just Wow, with a couple of expletives. Cygnus area was my main focus and it is really rather lovely. But I scanned for around 3/4 hour up and down the Milky Way and was blown away by what more you can see. I would even argue you could see "more" then with say an 8x bino or a low power scope setup. Just amazing. They did say these bins were ideal for scanning the Milky Way and Vixen are not wrong. I must have seen a lot of things I've never seen through a scope.

By this time I was getting rather tired so time for bed.

They really are amazing. Setup time? Ten seconds :) And you know what, I didn't spend all the time using them thinking "I wish I had a better EP or bigger scope". I'm not one for hyperbole, but would go so far as to say with these you have a completely different view of the night sky. Wish I had a pair when i used to do imaging, that would have complemented that well.

Cheers

Ian

Nice report Ian.

The review by Ian Watkins is excellent. Hopefully, I will be able to view a pair at IAS. It seems that these binos will be great to leave in the car and also take on holiday when visiting a dark site.

One other consideration is when star hopping with the big scope. All my observing of DSOs is using a RDF and 80mm Finderscope. Sometimes I find it easier to use small binos to get a feel for the area and cross reference the Uranometria star atlas. I think these new type binos will help to see fainter stars and make star hopping that much easier.

Am I talking myself into buying a pair :smiley:

Can we please all stop remarking on how good this new binocular is. Currently we are the only UK retailer who has recognised it's potential for astronomy and we would rather it stayed that way  :angel12:

Steve  :icon_jokercolor:

Can we please all stop remarking on how good this new binocular is. Currently we are the only UK retailer who has recognised it's potential for astronomy and we would rather it stayed that way  :angel12:

Steve  :icon_jokercolor:

+1.

Healthier for my wallet that way :rolleyes:.

So how much light (in terms of magnitude, normal human eye) do these give? I have a reference that's measured in aperture and focal ratio in my head and find it hard to correlate!

With my eyes, and my moderate LP, I reckoned on these giving between one and two magnitudes improvement.

I would have to sit down with some star charts, these and my naked eye to be 100% on that.

Cheers

Ian

That would be cheating  :lol:

(Atropine is a muscle relaxant used to increase eye pupil size). 

Buscapon does a fantastic job of dilating pupils, widely available in chemists, You could offer a free packet with every purchase Steve :D

I'm sorry to say I don't quite get what these are about? but then again if such big names as Vixen and Miyauchi have teamed up to produce them I guess there must be something too them?

EDIT: That will teach me for commenting before I've read the entire thread, I now understand the exit pupil wont be an issue and the reason for them being 42mm :)

P.s. NIce one Ian! :)

Chris

I'd agree with everything Ian said having had my first go under the stars last night. Cassiopeia was gorgeous through it and almost looked like it does on star charts...lots of stars just hanging there within a very recognisable pattern...and the sky wasn't dark at all.

The only downside for me (and its probably a result of being spoilt by using Televue eyepieces for years) is the star sharpness does drop off away from the middle of the field of view quite quickly....unless I'm doing something wrong?

Still, very, very pretty and something completely different to anything I've used or experienced before.

Archived