Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen SG 2.1x42 Binocular

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can confirm that each eye can be focused independently, or similar (I'm short in both but my right is worse) then I'll be ordering  :)

I just had a super-quick response from Pete at Vixen-UK  :icon_salut:

The binocular does have independent eyepiece focusing so there is no need for a separate dioptre correction :smiley:

Apparently to ensure they arrive here in the UK next week they will be air-freighted from Japan this Friday. 

HTH, 

Steve 

You have things the wrong way around Andrew :smiley:

Within reason, because of the manufacturing process it actually costs more to grind and polish smaller lens elements. This is why higher magnification eyepieces (with their smaller lens elements) cost more than low magnification eyepieces (assuming they are made to a similar design and the same optical quality). Similarly this is why budget long focal length (say 30-40mm) 2" eyepieces perform so well. 

Vixen and Miyauchi's decision to use 42mm objectives has enabled them to achieve a relatively low £229 RRP. 

HTH, 

Steve

Isn't another reason for the large objective that the big true FOV means that reducing the objective diameter would cause vignetting?

Isn't another reason for the large objective that the big true FOV means that reducing the objective diameter would cause vignetting?

I don't know, you might be right :smiley: 

They also look rather cool with large objectives  :glasses9:

Well done that man  :icon_salut:

I think you will be the first to receive one here in the UK. Actually, I'll be having one from the first batch too. But I'm a retailer so I don't count :smiley: 

Steve

Of course you count Steve :)

Looking forwards to these. Ever since I had gotten interested in astronomy as a kid, I've always wanted a x2 or so magnification eyeballs for scanning the night skies. Other bins were just too powerful, like Mel, I've tried several low power pairs but they were just awful.

Just need an NVG head rig now so I can go hands free...  ;)

Cheers

Ian

I have family on the IOW. After visiting them I often travel home at night and there are some nice dark skies along the A35 between Dorchester and Lyme Regis. When the sky is clear I pull over and spend some time looking at the Milky Way. I am buying my Vixen SG for those occasions. I'll keep it in the car glove comportment, together with my 10x50 monocular  :bino2:

Steve

Nice. We used to use a holiday cottage on the Dorset coast near Abbotsbury. So dark there you walk outside and the Milky Way runs up the sky above you. I would have killed for something like these back then.

Here at home, I'm often up late in the summer, so I'm looking forward to being out after midnight, lie on a sun lounger, glass of wine in one hand, these on my face having a good Milky Way scan. I just love the idea of occasionally just looking rather than the hassle of setting an AP rig or big telescope for observing (although I'll do that as well).

Cheers

Ian

(Helps if you actually put the words in as well. Daft no editing rule.)

I was telling a couple of local geeks about these down the pub the other night (I'm a geek by trade). They were super excited about the possibilities for these for just viewing the night sky whereas they see telescopes and "all that stuff" as too much like hard work for occasional use for those who are not heavily into astronomy. 

Couldn't argue with that. Maybe we need some quality kit that is only a few hundred quid tops that can be setup in seconds for non-astronomers but who have an interest :)

Cheers

Ian

There was a thread wondering about low power bins a while back, I recall. I think these look rather wonderful.

Perhaps they would also be good for nearby wildlife in low light conditions. 2 metres close focus is great.

Olly

There was a thread wondering about low power bins a while back, I recall. I think these look rather wonderful.

Perhaps they would also be good for nearby wildlife in low light conditions. 2 metres close focus is great.

Olly

I think that thread touched upon the Libra Superview 4x22 (I have a pair, but have since relegated them to daytime viewing only, and then mainly for the kids). At 6 euros, they are still a good deal. Their 17 deg true FOV is impressive, but the image quality I got out of them was not good enough for astronomy. If my kids don't drop them in the sea, or otherwise destroy them, I will bring them along for a laugh. These Vixen ones seem WAY better, but are of course WAY more expensive. You could buy 45 of the Libra 4x22 for just one of these :D

I think that thread touched upon the Libra Superview 4x22 (I have a pair, but have since relegated them to daytime viewing only, and then mainly for the kids). At 6 euros, they are still a good deal. Their 17 deg true FOV is impressive, but the image quality I got out of them was not good enough for astronomy. If my kids don't drop them in the sea, or otherwise destroy them, I will bring them along for a laugh. These Vixen ones seem WAY better, but are of course WAY more expensive. You could buy 45 of the Libra 4x22 for just one of these :D

If you have sufficient children to need 45 pairs of sea-going binoculars can I beg you to leave at least some of them down at the campsite?

:grin: lly

If you have sufficient children to need 45 pairs of sea-going binoculars can I beg you to leave at least some of them down at the campsite?

:grin: lly

If you had sufficient children to need 45 pairs of sea-going binoculars you wouldn't have the money or time to do such things... that's a different matter though  :rolleyes: 

Mine arrived today. Thank you FLO! :)

Wow, these are solid! Don't think there is any plastic here, super high quality and weighty in the hand.

Sure enough, each eyepiece can be focused independently. I'm short-sighted in both eyes, my right eye twice as bad as my left. I was worried my right eye wouldn't come to focus at infinity, but they do, just. Got about half a turn left before the inward focus stop.

Once at the eyes the viewing experience is weird but very pleasing. Only tried them in daylight, focused and had a good look around the garden and the hills a mile or so away. Image is stunningly clear and bright. No reflections, flare or other nasties. If you look around the edges it is blurry but that is well within your peripheral vision while looking straight ahead. So move your head rather than your eyes and it always stays sharp. So you get the full WIDE experience.

It's difficult to explain but if you get the chance, do try them, it's a little strange but lovely. Just remember to take them away from your face while reaching for your cup if tea, I missed by miles :)

Cannot wait for a clear night to try them in anger, looks to be clouded out tonight.

So, just a night test to go but I'm really happy with them. I'll post a proper review once night tested. Even considering a second pair for the car.

Cheers

Ian

Even considering a second pair for the car.

Cheers

Ian

Not for driving with I hope, given the experience with the tea ;-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived