Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10mm Ethos & coma.

Daniel-K

I would say that even at f4.5 his current scope now it would not hurt.  If you want to enjoy that nice tack sharp across the field in the Delos as Mr Nagler would put it, you will not enjoy it fully without one, but I suppose it depends how fussy  you want to be and each to their own.  :smiley:

I assume in most cases if people splash out  on such exotic glass wear they do so in part because  their eyes demand a nice optically corrected field, and getting rid of coma is part of that in a faster Newt.   If I were in that situation and had a set of high quality Delos eyepieces, I would get the coma corrector sooner than later at f4.5, you are really getting into territory where coma grows fast. I would probably not want to use an ethos without one in said scope for lower mag bright wide star  images, and a nagler at 82 degrees would get quite messy at f4.5 as well. 

I find with the 68 - 70 degree or so I own is a tolerable cutoff to not find it a must at f4.7 , For sure I can see the views are affected, but not in a way it ruins my day by any means, and in a lot of cases looking at stuff with plenty room to spare it does not bother me at all, that said  a CC will come at some stage. 

IMHO it is a sort of accessory that is worth having I feel for a scopes < f/5  (as  a rough guide ) and arguably a must at f4.5 and below many will say.  There is good basis behind that argument I feel.

Other alternative, just live with a set of 42 degree orthos :grin:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan

If you're planning an increase in aperture. You will want Paracorr on a bigger faster scope. My 20" f/4 is messy without it.

I would want the Ethos over the Delos but I Barlow my eyepieces and a 10mm Delos isn't wide enough to do that with. At 460x the extra field of the ethos would be the deciding factor for me. My Nagler 12mm is cramped enough at 383x when Barlowed.

wise words here...listen to the builders!

Ive ordered a 24mm panoptic today, im going to stay away from the 2" and 100's for now until i can fund a parracor. TBH im happy with my Delos Ep's at the moment and they do very well in the F4.5. and im trying to put a few pennies away for a big mirror.

£££££'s on a scope,£££'s on eyepiece collection and then be content with 75% of a perfect view?....I just don't get it :icon_scratch: and as for danny boy not having a 18"+ dob in the next 12months :lol:

£££££'s on a scope,£££'s on eyepiece collection and then be content with 75% of a perfect view?....I just don't get it :icon_scratch: and as for danny boy not having a 18"+ dob in the next 12months :lol:

i still need a fix :D once im close to getting my mirror i'll just do what i normally do and sell up and buy everything again but better

At f/4.5 alot of people still dont notice Coma though or if they do it doesnt bother them so why shell out another £400 + the extra weight + the reduction in TFoV for something that isnt a problem?

Alex,

Fabulous piece of writing by youself, well done. I'm sure Don will not hold anything against you, At work I never believed in being right all the time, I used to like people to stand up to me and chip in, even if they were wrong.

Stu,

I think the gap between 13mm and 21mm is too large if that helps make up your mind at all. With having a few scopes I also feel the same about 13mm to 8mm, which is why I got the 10mm.

Alan

.Stu,I think the gap between 13mm and 21mm is too large if that helps make up your mind at all. With having a few scopes I also feel the same about 13mm to 8mm, which is why I got the 10mm.Alan

I disagree (aren't eyepiece discussions fun :lol: ) I go from 20mm to 12mm all the time. I do have a 16mm but I never use it. I also plan an 8mm. There will be nothing between that and my 12mm. That said my Barlowed 20mm would fit I guess :evil6:

I disagree (aren't eyepiece discussions fun :lol: ) I go from 20mm to 12mm all the time. I do have a 16mm but I never use it. I also plan an 8mm. There will be nothing between that and my 12mm. That said my Barlowed 20mm would fit I guess :evil6:

I could use the Powermate with the 31mm Nagler to fill the "gap" that I don't feel I have between the 13mm and 21mm Ethos. Frightening combination though  :shocked: - you can almost hear the focuser whimpering ! 

I could use the Powermate with the 31mm Nagler to fill the "gap" that I don't feel I have between the 13mm and 21mm Ethos. Frightening combination though  :shocked: - you can almost hear the focuser whimpering ! 

:icon_eek:

I can imagine my poor  little heritage 130p having a grunt and collapse, it is probably a bigger combo than the poor little scope  :eek: , Mind you I did have the XW 7 with a 2x barlow in the heritage, which proportionally would not be that dissimilar. Balance was not an issue at all due to the adjustable dovetail, but the focuser will tilt a bit. Still, some fabulous views though  :grin: sorry for the OT.   

Gentlemen,

My comment was made knowing Stu has a good spread of scopes and I have 5 of different focal lengths, under these circumstances I do not feel what I said as incorrect. If however I only had the one then I may well agree. BTW it is still raining, my fault, I should never have bought the 12mm Delos.

Alan.

Dude,

Congratulations on the full set.

I have seen these a few times over the years and often wondered are they as good a say, BGO's?

Meade seem to go a bit OTT on their advertising, I hope for you they really are top quality.

Sorry for going astray Dan, I did a review once or an Ethos and a BGO, after spend so long doing it I thought in the end it was a bit pointless, still keeps me out of trouble.

Alan

Congratulations Dude  :smiley: 

I have seen these a few times over the years and often wondered are they as good a say, BGO's?

Meade seem to go a bit OTT on their advertising, I hope for you they really are top quality.

The Meade RGO's were produced and marketed from the late 1970's  to the mid 1980's I believe. Their performance is similar to the University classic "Volcano" top orthos from the reports I've read.  The 7mm is reputed to be the gem of the set.

Archived