Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Call for "Starmakers" in Northern England!

robbieince

Hi everyone!

I am running a piece of work to help develop astro tourism in Northern England, in the newly created Northumberland International Dark Sky Park and the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and am looking for volunteers to become "Starmakers" and run mini events for the public.

Attached is a quick brief - anyone interested in finding out more - either contact me here or on NEstarmaker@gmail.com

Regarrds

RobStarmakers.pdf

Doesn't necessarily mean it's a commercial venture. I help with the local village hall. It has charitable status and is run on a not for profit basis, but we charge people to use it and have to employ people such as a cleaner and groundsman for services provided.

But, yes, I do agree, it could do with a little more info.

Just the same as I was thinking.profits usually indicates gain for to someone and you do state that anyone volounteering will get financial reward.

Not for Profit simply means that the grant / funding for a voluntary or charitable initiative is ring fenced directly into the venture or project, so no 'profits' that go to shareholders for example. I worked for a charity for nine years so have some inclination. 

The money on offer £225,000 is not just for 'starmakers' it is actually intended to help local businesses gear up for stargazing opportunities.  The following is a section of text from Northumberland National Park, the grant holders.

'They are open to any business that wants to capitalise on our wonderful dark skies.  The event will be useful for bed and breakfast, campsite and self-catering owners, inn and hotel managers, tour guides and anyone working in the visitor economy to help gear up to provide an unforgettable dark sky experience for customers.'

The only mention of 'starmakers' I could find was hinted at in the following:

'The *Animating Dark Skies project will build on the growing interest in Northumberland's dark skies and the development of astro-tourism stimulated by the success of the Kielder Observatory and Northumberland International Dark Sky Park. The Observatory will continue to deliver a premier star gazing experience through its location, experienced astronomers and technical capability. This quality of visitor experience will be extended throughout the darkest areas of the region with the development of  31 new Dark Sky Discovery Sites throughout the International Dark Sky Park and the North Pennines AONB backed up by a network of trained and informed local businesses and accredited astro-event providers.'

I am guessing Kielder obs will already be heavily involved in this.

Mind it is a good idea, the sort of thing clubs and societies should be going for, they have the expertise and man power to host public events, much better than individuals and it could give a good boost to club funds.

Robin

• 2 months later...

A quick update.

We held our training weekend for the first tranche of star makers this weekend.Thank you to everyone who has shown interest - we will now be opening the request again to try and identify further people to be involved.

Please contact me here or on NEstarmakers@gmail.com if you want to be involved in the 2nd run.

Regards

Rob

• 1 month later...

Earlier in the year I announced that we are working with the “Animating Dark Skies Partnership” to help develop tourism in the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park (NIDSP) and the areas surrounding including the North Pennines Area of Outstanding National Beauty (AONB). 

We have now created and run the first training programme and the “Starmakers” are gearing up to delivering events this year.

I am now looking for a second tranche of "Starmakers to join in with the rest of the team to help bolster capability and coverage. a summary sheet is attached. The training given will be free (supported by the partnership), as will be the mentoring and physical support, including travel expenses and a share of the gate receipts – all that is asked is a commitment to deliver some events by the end of the year. 

Can anyone who is interested in this exciting opportunity contact me here or by mail on NEstarmakers@gmail.com giving me a brief explanation of who you are and why you want to be involved in this project. I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards

Rob

Archived