Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh my!!!

Rustysplit

I am out on the moon at the moment, and it is the best I have ever seen it. The seeing is perfect and my new Radians have blown me away totally. I picked up a 6mm and 4mm from Stu today as a luxury to near complete my set. I did not really think the 4mm would get much use at 1800fl giving 450x. Well it is being used and giving perfect views, not only at 450x, but 2x barlowed to 900x :eek:  It is still tack sharp!!!!!!! The detail I am seeing has shocked me. It is like viewing with a webcam. I'm back off out, If I don't trip over my jaw.........

Stunning here too Alan. Even better than last night and I thought that superb  :grin:

Tiny features are just jumping out almost in 3D. I'm using the 6mm Ethos and 2x Powermate for 530x - truly a "LEM window" type view  :shocked:

I can understand now why Sir Patrick Moore spent so much time studying the Moon.

Edit: I ought to add - 12" scope, 500x plus and NO filter needed  :smiley:

Absolutely,no filters. Settled back at a modest, cough, 600x. It is nights like these that make it all worth while. Just move to the illuminated limb and then fly in a low orbit over the surface. Happy chappy!

.... It is nights like these that make it all worth while.....!

Very true  :grin:

They also allow your equipment to really strut its stuff and reassure you as to why you bought it in the first place.

Superb views in Hereford as well. We should have had this weather last week. I have been viewing the Moon and Jupiter with the 180mm Mak/Cass and binoviewers and 12.5mm William optics Planetary EPs. Excellent++. The Hadley Rille is so clear and sharp - in fact its one of the best views I have had of this feature.

I can understand now why Sir Patrick Moore spent so much time studying the Moon.

It is growing on me more and more. What else gives up so much detail, but not all at the same time? You have to work at it and come back to it when the illumination has changed. It is all too easy to dismiss the Moon as unchanging. In effect it is constantly changing appearance.

I've just jumped across the asteroid belt to have a look at Jupiter. Thats looking really nice too with a GRS transit just nearing it's end. Lovely pale eddies and swirls trailing the GRS too. Sharp definition and great colours.

Hope things stay this way until Mars is up !

moon looking good, at about 8 o'clock did anyone else notice a colour change on the wall nearest the terminator of the crater copernicus for about 15 minutes the wall went quite orange. I tried multiple eyepieces and even a neutral filter, and it was there in all cases. I have never seen anything like it before and while it was best seen at 60x it was still there at 180x ( I was using the 8.5 f 7.5 dob )

Its breaking my heart reading this!!!!

OO are late sending my new scope out otherwise I'd have my VX10L tonight and the chap who was buying my HEQ5 has just pulled out and my HEQ5 is all packed up ready to post!

Enjoy the good seeing gents.....lucky buggers! :)

Superb views in Hereford as well. We should have had this weather last week. I have been viewing the Moon and Jupiter with the 180mm Mak/Cass and binoviewers and 12.5mm William optics Planetary EPs. Excellent++. The Hadley Rille is so clear and sharp - in fact its one of the best views I have had of this feature.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hadley Rille Mark. I've never actually observed it - until this evening that is. So clear, as is the flat plain between it and Mount Hadley where Apollo 15 landed. Really thrilling to think that men have walked that area and peered down into the rille. I'll be digging my DVD of the Apollo 15 mission out later for a nostalgic look I think   :smiley:

Made my evening that has :grin:  

moon looking good, at about 8 o'clock did anyone else notice a colour change on the wall nearest the terminator of the crater copernicus for about 15 minutes the wall went quite orange. I tried multiple eyepieces and even a neutral filter, and it was there in all cases. I have never seen anything like it before and while it was best seen at 60x it was still there at 180x ( I was using the 8.5 f 7.5 dob )

Lee I think you have observed a TLP (transient lunar phenomena). I wish I had remained viewing Copernicus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_lunar_phenomenon

LeeB, if you wanted to, you could discuss your observation with Tony Cook, the BAA TLP coordinator. Maybe do a quick sketch of the crater to highlight the location of the colour change while it is fresh in you mind. Copernicus has a history of TLP attached to it.

Meanwhile, thanks for the good seeing heads up because I have had some great visual views of Mars. Some really good surface detail was evident. 

Archived