NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Done to the death.. Eyepiece question

hi, got my new scope. not even had a look down it due to the poor skies the last week, any way.. sold my other scope got a couple of hundred to spend on an eyepiece... or pieces??

well, i almost checked out Baader hyperion 8-24mm as i wanted a good eyepiece that can see planets and deep space objects , nebules?

then i thought do i need more than one good eyepiece, ( iv only read good reviews on that^ ) 

if so what would you astronomers recomend? 

all advice appreciated  :) im am a super beginner , so i do apologise for any infantile questions or comments :D

( my new scope is a celestron nexstar 6SE if that helps)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings and welcome!

I don't know a lot about zoom eyepieces so started a thread here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/212307-telescope-zoom-eyepieces-jack-of-all-trades/

Hope you find some useful stuff in there.

Apologies for not posting as a link but for some reason my PC wont let me. Its not like its in a bit of a huff or anything, its just that none of the tools on the toolbar work. Any ideas why???

Greetings and welcome!

I don't know a lot about zoom eyepieces so started a thread here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/212307-telescope-zoom-eyepieces-jack-of-all-trades/

Hope you find some useful stuff in there.

Apologies for not posting as a link but for some reason my PC wont let me. Its not like its in a bit of a huff or anything, its just that none of the tools on the toolbar work. Any ideas why???

Hi

In the top left of your tool bar, above the letter B there is a little square box click on that and that should do the trick :smiley:

I've never owned or used a zoom in my 'scope, so I can't really comment. However, if you're not in a hurry, building up an eyepiece collection can be quite an adventure and an interesting journey in its own right. It's taken me a few years to build up my humble selection, to discover what focal lengths I'd like to explore and to wait for Christmases and Birthdays or the accumulation of savings to make the (un :grin:)necessary  purchases, both new and second hand. I can highly recommend it as an alternative, but not necessarily better, way forward.

BTW, the Maxvisions have been reduced.  :wink: 

Fixed fl EPs' are far superior. Baader zoom are pants, nasty quality.

Not sure about your standard, to my eyes, the Mark III zoom is better than BST, and as good as excellent plössls with comfortable eye relief, larger field of view and very convinient use.

TV plössls are good alternatives too, do make sure that you buy the used ones, so that you woudn't lose 30% in resale value in case you don't get along with the eye relief.e.g.

quote name="YKSE" post="2278958" timestamp="1396510583"]Not sure about your standard, to my eyes, the Mark III zoom is better than BST, and as good as excellent plössls with comfortable eye relief, larger field of view and very convinient use.

My zoom fell apart within two weeks. Others have had them jam and refuse to lossen again. The 25mm setting is nothing of the kind. If the build quality was sorted and it was sold as the 8mm to 20mm it so obviously is then I wouldn't have a problem with them.

due to a hick up with my purse (off subject and  loooong story) im going to have to hold off buying eyepice/s for a week or so,  

but would like to ask  another  question 

is my scope capable of seeing  deep sky objects?  if so whats the ideal eyepiece you 'd recommend ? 

many thanks 

Your 6SE should be capable of many deep sky objects!

I had SW explorer 130P for over a half year as my beginner's scope, I found over 30 Messier objects with it in my backyard. The bigger aperture with 6SE isdefinitely an advantage, the main challenge for you is to take the scope out, learn the observing technique and get your eye trained, In this sense, the hick up with your purse is a good thing :smiley:

I saw plenty of DSO with my old 6se and the supplied 25mm eyepiece is pretty good for larger DSO.

I have used the bst eyepieces in my 8se they were better than my celestron zoom, very good for their price.

I have nothing but praise for the BSTs.

BUT: I would say wait to get your new scope, see how you get on with the eps you have and that it comes with, and see where you want to either fill gaps or get a better ep. You will only know what "better ep" means to you once you identify the problems that you have with your current eps and scope, and what someone likes and dislikes in an ep varies from person to person.

Archived