NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I need to keep my glasses on my head

proflight2000

Ok, I agree this will not be the most riveting question ever asked here and probably not as important as discovering what is outside the solar system, but.......... can anyone give me any good tips on keeping my glasses on my head when I am out viewing. I don't need them to look through an eyepiece, but i need them to see the handset on my scope, so when i do I tuck them on my head and as i tilt back at times to view at odd angles they fall off and hit the floor. I dont want them wrapped around my neck with a strap, so does anyone know if there are grips etc for keeping specs on the bonce. Thanks all and clear skys.

I use mine when looking at the sky with my eyes so I tend to tuck them into my inside jacket pocket (fur lined so no scratches)
but I know what you mean, if I put hem on my head and my eyepiece is down low they tend to fall off and almost get trodden on

I only need mine to check certain things but not for viewing, it is an pain, sometimes I fold them and hold them with my lips, other times I put them in my pocket or hold them in my hand, I get a row off my husband if I stick them on my head, he moans that I will stretch the arms  :rolleyes: he never needs to take his off so doesn't realise how annoying it is.

Really no option if they will not stay fixed on your head other then to put them on something.

If you have a small table for putting bits on try that, another option woiuld be to consider the mount, tripod, itself. Usually there is a spreader that is a flat surface, but not ideal for specticles - you would have to put something on it to place the glasses on, thinking of  felt surface for them.

Another option is to conveniently keep all the scope and observing bits in a box and use this as the table. I tend to keep the obvious items in a one of the plastic tub things = spreader, nuts, mains converter, extn lead, half eyepiece set etc. Means I can take just that out and will have all the bits I am likely to need, with the top on this acts as a storage surface, which is where my glasses tend to go.

Hi all

Most opticians do 2 for 1

Get the second pair and just use them with telescope, all you need to do is get an elastic band, one that is small and strong enough to pull the arms together, you might need a little tape to keep it in place, when you open up the arms you are stretching the elastic band, place them on your head as normal, elastic band then pulls the arms to your head, they should stay put, this has worked for me while doing other things :smiley:

just give it a try now...put glasses on and gently press the ends of the arm to your head, tilt head back and forth as you would when viewing see what happens :smiley:

Regards

I just keep them on and use long eye relief EPs. Not the cheapest solution, but very comfortable. I have not choice anyhow, due to astigmatism.

I've found it depends on the design of the glasses. Only eyepieces with very long eye relief are comfortable when I'm observing with these glasses (25mm+), so I prefer to leave them off - even though I've got slight astigmatism and should be wearing them all the time.

I've found it depends on the design of the glasses. Only eyepieces with very long eye relief are comfortable when I'm observing with these glasses (25mm+), so I prefer to leave them off - even though I've got slight astigmatism and should be wearing them all the time.

Curious. I can use 16mm+ eye relief EPs with all glasses I have had in the last 18 years. Your glasses wouldn't look like this:

goggles-1.jpg

by any chance :D;)

Curious. I can use 16mm+ eye relief EPs with all glasses I have had in the last 18 years. Your glasses wouldn't look like this:

goggles-1.jpg

by any chance :D

Just measured it, about 15mm between eye and outside of glasses, and I like to hang back a bit and give myself room, so it sounds about right. It's a shame because the old pair I had I could use eyepieces with 12mm eye relief.

That is the caveat I suppose, I could observe with my glasses, I just choose not too. Not all of my eyepieces have long eye relief :rolleyes:.

I liked the suggestion that was made on another thread to have a spare pare of glasses with only one lens - one eye for starcharts, sketching and finder-scope/telrad, the lens-less eye for the EP.   :icon_cyclops:

I liked the suggestion that was made on another thread to have a spare pare of glasses with only one lens - one eye for starcharts, sketching and finder-scope/telrad, the lens-less eye for the EP.   :icon_cyclops:

Got me thinking now, cheap pair from the pound type places, pop one glass out and keep them just for viewing.

Think I will do a Patrick Moore and just get a monocle, apart from looking sophisticated it will mean I can use one eye to view and another to read, the neighbours might think I am the village idiot, but hey, it's progress :grin:

I note from your OP that you didn't want a strap round your neck but I don't find it to be a problem. Better than dropping them and treading on them in the dark which I did about 10 years ago - expensive!

Contact lenses :)

Only joking, I am a glasses wearer as well. I always prop them up on my bonce. What about a DIY project to make a glasses holder that can fit alongside the finderscope ? Wait a minute, I feel a patent coming on.......

I'll bear this in mind the next time I drop my glasses. I just hope the lens for my 'seeing eye' is the one that breaks. ;)

Archived