Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Timber suppliers and wood preservative

microbe

Well Spring appears to have arrived, so I'm hoping at last for some dry weather and to continue my obsy build. The concrete (slabbed) base and pier were completed last autumn, topped with one of Gary's HEQ5/pier adapters.

I'm looking at suppliers for the timber (B&Q, Wickes, Buildbase etc) and other parts. Do members have any recommendations, from both a cost and quality perspective. I'd also be interested in what members have used as wood preservatives and how effective they have been long term.

Adrian

better looking for a local timber merchants they are often cheaper than B&Q etc and they will cut timber to whatever size you need
as for preservatives you can buy impregnated wood pre treated and very good at what it does, if you do it yourself
Cuprinol is a good brand thats easy to use and apply, but overall's and good heavy duty rubber gloves will be required

Defo local timber merchants as the high st stores tend to be overpriced and the quality isn't usually as good. Although saying that the framing for mine i got from wickes as it was in stock and i selected it all myself. Got some strange looks in the shop when i emptied the racks out all over the floor to find the straightest ones :grin:

timber merchants or builders yard for timbers, better quality, longer lengths if required and will properly do free delivery, for the frame of my build i used c16 4 x 2 timbers which are siuted for outside use, and a good quality preservative of 3 or more coats, timber frames screwed using 6 inch screws and glued together rather than just nails, cladding also screwed to the frame instead of nails.  

I agree with the guys above. Break open all the packs on the shop floor if Wickes or B&Q - I found both of them had a fair bit of bent stuff. I ordered shiplap from Travis Perkins and 1 bit in 20 had a knot hole in it, the rest was fine - albeit they supply it in random (very long) lengths.

Timber merchants or builder's merchants definitely should be cheaper than Wickes, etc. However, do beware that lots of these places work on a 'high list price + trade discount' basis, so put in some research first online to check the sort of prices you should be paying before rolling up to buy.

There are also now a number of 'virtual' online timber merchants (timberclick being one I have used). These are companies that run a website and have trade accounts with real local timber merchants. They will order the timber for you on their trade account, delivered to your address - they get a good discount from the actual supplier and pass a fair bit of this on to you, keeping the remainder as their cut.

Robin

Definatley need pressure treated timber, timber also has grades generally depending how many knots in it, check all lengths carefully as if you buy a lot they'll try to slip some rubbish in, some of the stuff from the "sheds"  is handy if you're building a boat :)

Dave

My local timber yard which I tend to frequent is actually a bit more expensive than Wickes - but they do deliver for free, and with 'big and bulky' delivery costs, usually works out a bit less. 

And doing one's bit for the local economy.

Callum

Another vote for the local merchant.  All I would add is work out the quantities that you need and buy the whole lot in bulk - ask for a discount on the whole order, you are quite likely to get one.  Another golden rule with timber is to work out what you need and order 20% over that - you will wast quite a bit in "short ends", these can often get used up in fitting out desks and shelves etc.

With my own recent build I have three or four spare pre-cut cladding planks stored in the garage which I am sure will come in useful one day!

As above - avoid the DIY shops and buy pressure treated timber. Never use that acrylic based wood treatment- always get penetrative types e.g. Creocote. If you're ordering enough you should get free delivery and as others have indicated - allow 20% extra for the odd wrong cut etc.

For framing i would use c16 pressure treated cls from b&q as this tends to be one of their loss leading lines meaning it's reasinabky priced and sometimes cheaper than builders yards. Its also got eased edges mesning they are smoothed making them easier to handle. For joining id use timbadeck 4.5x65 and 4.5x85 screws as these spin in nicely with no pilot hole etc.

for big volumes I use my trade account at jewson but this is mainly for large volumes like 300ft skirting board or 30 sheets of plasterboars as they do bigger lengths and free delivery.

one thing you can do is open a cash account at jewson and see what is the best price they can do. Anyone can do this and if you want a decent amount then you can always cut a deal and see how much you can undercut b&q.

cheers

If you want good quality wood then have a look at Robbins Timber - http://www.robbins.co.uk/ they deliver anywhere in the UK.

To look after it use 3 coats of Butinox http://wwwda.jotun.com/www/uk/20020181.nsf/viewunid/0585288111CB199F8025788800315FBA/$file/Butinox+Wood+Protection+Colour+Card.pdf

and relax for about 10 years knowing your wood is protected from even the Scottish Highland winters!!

Archived