SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 16/03 from Bembridge - Cracked it :)

SnakeyJ

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning images Jake fantastic detail as you say don't you just love it when a plan comes together well done

Thanks Robbie - Oh Yeah!

Yep those are images to be proud of Jake well done You!

Cheers Martin - happy with the data, though need to work on my process to get the best out.

Excellent Jake..! :)

Thanks Darryl - taken a long time to get this data and chased my tail a few times! Good to know everything can come together :)

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

OK to prove there's no stopping a fool - here's the reprocess based on a Drizzle3 on AS!2 (just because it's there ;) ).     I had to struggle a bit to keep things sharp and have still lost some detail, but the processing itself is better than last nights first stab.   I shall re-process at 1.5 drizzle shortly.

RGB vs LRGB:

post-26731-0-59302600-1395051152_thumb.p  post-26731-0-53231500-1395051121_thumb.p

Very well done Jake. The images are excellent and plenty of sharp detail.

So pleased for you. You have put plenty of hard hard into your images of late and it's just nice to see some reward for you.

You would never have thought the barlow would have been at fault, but a relief you have found the problem. Now you can relax when imaging next time knowing you will get great results. Mars is the next item on your imaging list and then Saturn, so I look forward to seeing those soon. :)

Very well done Jake. The images are excellent and plenty of sharp detail.

So pleased for you. You have put plenty of hard hard into your images of late and it's just nice to see some reward for you.

You would never have thought the barlow would have been at fault, but a relief you have found the problem. Now you can relax when imaging next time knowing you will get great results. Mars is the next item on your imaging list and then Saturn, so I look forward to seeing those soon. :)

Cheers Michael,  I have had a couple of goes at Mars and one at Saturn so far this year, but all done with the same barlow - so hoping for another go in the near future.   My low SE horizon is still obscured by trees, so I have to wait up in til 00:30hrs for Mars and 02:30hrs for Saturn to pass 165deg - then again south is best given the low elevations these targets are reaching.   Have to pull a sicky from work the next time the skies look clear  :evil:

I will have to have a proper look at the barlow - it looks clean and the coatings look ok (under torchlight), perhaps there is some internal reflection or edges that have not been properly blackened.    The warranty is well past, so I shall probably take a look at this myself - it's a triple element ED design and they are generally get quite well reviewed, but perhaps I got the Friday afternoon one.     Ultimately it would be nice to have a couple of powermates in the ep case, though unlikely to occur in the short term.    I can manage with the Baader or Rev x2.5 with extension for a while, but do prefer having the image train short with as few connections as possible.  

Very nice colour balance on those drizzles Jake and the detail is finer. 1.5 drizzle usually hits the spot for me in good seeing.

Certainly worth spending some time on this good data. :smiley:

Thanks Stuart, I do like the colour, but looks way to soft at 3x drizzle for me and I'm not keen on the white highlight at centre equatorial band - I try and even this downwith curves, but difficult to do without upsetting the balance else where.

I've reprocessed with 1.5x drizzle, but perhaps these are going the other way with too much saturation and noise - difficult balance and my eyes need a break :p

RGB vs LRGB:

post-26731-0-84591400-1395066381_thumb.p  post-26731-0-22770000-1395066361_thumb.p

Fantastic images Jake. Well done. You've craked it alright.

I too have the X5 Rev barlow - and I have to say it's not very good for imaging. So maybe it is the quality.

I tend to use a X3 barlow with an extention between it and webcam.

Again well done.

Lee

Thanks to Tor, Richard, Alan, Mark, Lee and Rob - falling so far behind today at work that full/individual responses aren't possible, though wanted to thank everyone for excellent feedback and support.     At times it gets a little overwhelming, but such a fantastic forum and without the support and encouragement here I'd frankly be stuffed ;) (in terms of planetary imaging at least)!     Can and will do better in future and hoping to get some decent results for Mars and 
Saturn over the next 8 weeks or so, before returning to more deep sky targets with the DSLR.

Lee's comments on the Rev x 5 barlow are very interesting, I was assuming I had a bad one as I had seen some decent reviews for this.    Other than the questionable performance it does appear to be solid and nicely made and should do rather better than it currently works.   Hopefully a little fettling (edge blacking or tightening) can eliminate the unwanted reflection/ghosting and make this viable - otherwise it becomes a rather expensive 1.25" extension tube!

That's good work Jake, soon be rivaling Damien P' and he has to go to Jamaica :)

Dave

Nice thought, but I'll bow to his experience, 6" additional aperture and superior processing skills. Though would pay good money for one of his planetary imaging classes :) Much of his stuff is imaged about 20km from here!

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Archived