SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 16/03 from Bembridge - Cracked it :)

SnakeyJ

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!   Really cracked it tonight with some great seeing and best results ever.    Think I also sorted out my halo problem, which I think was caused by the Revelation x5 barlow - which is either naff or smeared/dirty.

Anyhow here's a very quick on the WJ RGB:

post-26731-0-11538900-1395005776.png

F20 ish with the SW Exp 200P/QHY5L-IIM, Baader CCD filters, Baader Zoom x2.25 barlow with serious extension and Firecap 2.3.019.   40% of 80s capture / channel, drizzled 1.5 in AS!2 2.3.0.8 beta.

Here's the individual channels for interest:

post-26731-0-24177300-1395005805_thumb.p post-26731-0-64113700-1395005813_thumb.p post-26731-0-41876900-1395005821_thumb.p post-26731-0-19251800-1395005830_thumb.p

I'm so relieved and chuffed - can't believe my collimation demon was actually the bloomin Revelation barlow after all this grief :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well done you! they are some superb images you have every right to be pleased. some very fine detail and some surface moon detail as well!

Thanks Pete - its been a long time coming and I've been chasing my tail around trying to resolve the collimation problem that wasn't, but certainly feels good to get something half decent out of the scope for the time and effort and before Jupiter is too distant - should be able to get a much nicer process from the data tomorrow at play (work when I'm not ;) ).

Wow, just wow! And moon detail too! The fact that I have the same telescope & the color version of QHY5L-II, this gives me something to aspire towards.

Thanks also Amra, the colour is next on my list as this and the ASI120MC have been producing some great results this year in the often variable seeing and much, much handier for producing animations.   The mono should edge it on nights of very good seeing, but those come but rarely on these shores :)

Thanks also Amra, the colour is next on my list as this and the ASI120MC have been producing some great results this year in the often variable seeing and much, much handier for producing animations.   The mono should edge it on nights of very good seeing, but those come but rarely on these shores :)

This is the best I've been able to manage, with a single standard skywatcher 2x Barlow http://astrob.in/72657/0/

I have two skywatcher barlows and could stack them together, is this the way to go to produce a better image or should I get another barlow product you think?

This is the best I've been able to manage, with a single standard skywatcher 2x Barlow http://astrob.in/72657/0/

I have two skywatcher barlows and could stack them together, is this the way to go to produce a better image or should I get another barlow product you think?

Nowt wrong with that image, but more focal length would help to improve image scale and detail in fair seeing.    Somewhere between 3 and 4 x is probably optimum for this camera unless the seeing is excellent.    Definitely wouldn't recommend stacking the barlows, better to use a single barlow with extension, with your x2 100mm extension would probably get you close to x4 or F20.     The Revelation ED barlows are generally well reviewed for the price.   I either have a somewhat duff or very dirty one and I suspect the latter, but too dark to check this tonight.    The baader zoom x2.25 has proved very good and taken some of my best shots, including tonight's - though if I could find the cash I would definitely buy the TV Powermates, as these are the benchmark and are used by most of the serious imagers.

Excellent images :)  Disappointing that the Revelation 5x barlow isn't really up to snuff when the 2.5x is very good.

James

It may be smeared/dirty - I'll check it out in daylight and see what's up.   I do have a Revelation x2.5, but not used this a lot as I need some additional extension with the QHY5L-II as natively it only yields around 1.9x.    The Baader zoom is either excellent or damned lucky for me - I think it's achromatic, rather than ED glass but still seems to perform very well.

Very well done Jake! A lovely image indeed with two moons and some detail as well. You should be chuffed - I know I would be and I know that feeling of relief as well!! Glad you got decent seeing tonight - El Crapo here of course - completely clouded out. No double shadow transit, which is underway now, for me - but not entirely surprised.....But great work Jake!

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks Simon and Wavesoarer and James - Just nipping out for a star test and see if the cloud can hold off for Mars :)   I'm on a roll, but doubtless the weather will soon pull me back down to earth :p

Very well done Jake! A lovely image indeed with two moons and some detail as well. You should be chuffed - I know I would be and I know that feeling of relief as well!! Glad you got decent seeing tonight - El Crapo here of course - completely clouded out. No double shadow transit, which is underway now, for me - but not entirely surprised.....But great work Jake!

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks Ralph and hope the conditions improve for you up in Co Antrim!

Thanks Jake and good luck with Mars - strike while the iron`s hot!!

Too late - the clouds have returned!   Nice while it lasted thought ;)

Crackerjack images Jake! Worth trying drizzle on those I reckon.

Thanks Stuart - I did do a 1.5x drizzle on these, but only a very quick stack and rudimentary process - sure I can pull a lot more out and clean these up a fair bit.

Yes, I think you should have a cigar after these Jake, a massive improvement!

Regards

HArvey

Gave em up 7-8 years ago - just the e-cig now, but having a nice single malt in celebration - maybe two!

I checked the Revelation 5x barlow and this appears to be sparkling clean - so can only assume that it is a dud or requires some adjustment or edge blackening.   All my images shot earlier in teh evening with this show the characteristic reflection/ghost image and are much softer.    All my images after changing over the the Baader look 100% improved despite very similar focal length (4000mm).

Anyhow some nice data - this is from a slightly earlier run, processed in WJ as RGB and LRGB.   Post processing in Gimp and upscaled 150%.

RGB vs LRGB:

post-26731-0-37076700-1395016062_thumb.p  post-26731-0-43952400-1395016040_thumb.p

Archived