Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

March 13th 4.5 h Jupiter animation & the first Mars

GreatAttractor

Superb seeing this time. 181 frames, 1.5-minute intervals, 4:34 h total time. Mak 180, PGR Chameleon mono, Baader red 610 nm filter. Stacked in AutoStakkert!2, sharpened in Registax 6:

08f9fcfc-03e3-4012-9a2d-a223a407d8b1.gif

Mars on its low altitude suffered from turbulence, but for the first try I'm satisfied. 4-minute intervals, 48 minutes total, setup as above (but at f/30):

post-17321-0-42407200-1394923061.gif

Super animations! Love the Jupiter composition and it is always fascinating with these animations to see how the seeing varies over the period and the consequential effect on the image - High speed camera definitely needed!! Excellent work.

Best regards,

Ralph

Really great animations there, Jupiter looks stunning and is displaying a lot of fine detail - Mars is also looking very good, much better than I've managed so far this year with torrid seeing and low elevations :) 

Fantastic animations, both of them!  :icon_salut:  I could watch both of them for ages.  I have, in fact!  :grin:

I've heard good things about those Chameleon cameras.  Hard to compare based only on the other images posted on SGL, but they always seem to knock out excellent images.  How are they to work with?

I've heard good things about those Chameleon cameras.  Hard to compare based only on the other images posted on SGL, but they always seem to knock out excellent images.  How are they to work with?

Almost flawless. The one issue they have is that every second row of pixels is darker when using very short exposures (1 ms or less) - but that could be possibly corrected in processing. That's the kind of exposure you'd have on the Sun with Baader ND 3.8 solar film and no additional filters at f/7 or lower f.r.

Other than that, it works perfectly. On the Sun for white light work I use ND 3.8 film, Solar Continuum filter and gain set to zero, which is just fine on Travel Scope 50 (f/7.2), Mak 127 (f/12) and Mak 180 (f/15). All of my images are also here: http://www.astrobin.com/users/GreatAttractor/

Archived