Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registax 6 v 5

Ant

I've just installed Registax 6.1, I've heard horror stories about it not stacking well  if there is any movement between frames.

My mount isn't properly polar aligned at the moment so there is movement.

There appears to be quite a lot different between 5 and 6, so plenty to learn. The biggest odd thing that I found was that using the same AVI, with R6 even with the lowest quality set to 99 is was stacking more than 2000 frames. With R5 at 93 it was only stacking about 400.

Here are the results. Same AVI, same processing (including wavelets).

Registax does give a better result.

Cheers

Ant 

I just use Autostakkert!2 for stacking and then Regi v5.1 for wavelets. AS!2 generally stacks better, is more easy to use and you can set the percentage of frames you want to stack.

R6 had a lot of problems on my Win 7 laptop.

I do sometimes use AVIstack, but use whichever software I fancy at the time. 

AVI stack insists on two alignment points, which on solar proms isn't always there... 

Ant

Registax is a very good free issue but i seem to have problems with it, i was using R6 and i got the movement effects on full luna disk, so i binned it and went back to R5 but that seems to be playing up, maybe i will look at Avistack

Lots of people have mentioned autostakkert!2, maybe I should download and give it a go.

Might be interesting to run an AVI through all of them and see what happens. I have an AVI of Jupiter that I haven't processed yet. I might give that a go tonight.

Ant

I've only used it once so far and it worked fine with the DMK21 Y800 codec. But you know what they say "one swallow doesn't make a summer"

Steve, I know what you mean way more bells and whistles. Luckily, enough is the same to at least get started. But it could take months to work out everything :)

More investigation needed I think!

Ant

The eternnal debate.:D

My experience with stacking software has been a long drawn out one, lately I have found a relatively fool proof way to get R5.1 to stack my solar images(thanks Steve) and generally I can eventually even force it to stack a lunar pic but both 5 &6 don't like my subs and as a fall back avistack has always stacked my lunar shots. I think it's all down to field rotation of not using a tracking mount even after running it through PIPP.

However this last week I have had my motors on and with tracking both 5 & 6 are stacking well, so much so that today for the first time 6 gave me the best result.

All in all I don't know which is better, as my techniques develop which software I use and how I use it evolve too. i look forward to trying some more lunar work out too as hopefully it might get easier from here on in.

On autostakkert I haven't used it a dslr full disc wont fit in the area provided, that's something they should look at changing. 2500 by 2500 would be perfect.

I don't think there are any big differences between AS!2 and R6, my results are very similar but I have only tried to stack blurry toucam movie clips. R6 offers more post processing, like the wavelets and RGB align tool and stuff like that which you have to do in PS if you only use AS!2

........ like the wavelets and RGB align tool and stuff like that which you have to do in PS if you only use AS!2

You don't have to use PS. After AS!2 has stacked the video into a TIFF, you use Registax to open the TIFF so you can then use the wavelets, RGB align or any other functions. That way you get better stacking, and still have the adjustment Registax offers.

Reg 5.1 for single frame DSLR stacking , mainly for the Manual Align feature that R6 lacks and the fact that 5.1 handles RAW files unlike 6.

AS!2 for AVI stacking after organising and grading/cropping in PIPP.

Reg 6 for Wavelets after AS!2 stacking . 

I have had a few occasions when Registax 6 has crashed - this has been when putting an avi in excess of 2000 frames through it. When it works, it works fine. For some unexplained reason I have noticed that Reg changes the settings for the processing area so I check that every time now.

Peter

Archived