Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SN2014J - Still hanging in there !

John

Our long lasting supernova in M82 is still to be seen though quite a tough challenge even with a decent aperture because of the moonlight flooding the sky tonight.

Difficult to estimate it's magnitude in these conditions - probably mag 12.5 ish. 

I feel the need to at least have a peek at this one each time I have a scope out. It's become like an old friend and I'll miss it when it drops back into obscurity.

I found it again tonight. I was using the Hyperion 8-24 zoom with the 12" dob. M82 was obvious at 20mm (the minimum I use with this eyepiece) but the SN was not. At 16mm - 12mm - 8mm it's little spark still shone in the glalactic haze of the host galaxy though. The Hyperion zoom seems a pretty decent DSO eyepiece - it showed good contrast and structure in M82 with the dark rifts that cross it and the knots of more concentrated brightness well defined.

I took look last night before I packed up and I could still see it but it was by no means clear as it once was, even in a dark sky which was extremely clear. I was using the 12 inch LX which I believe shows galaxies well ( its no good at splitting Sirius) with it's lowest magnification of X74, the SN was a little clearer using the 21mm E lifting the power to around X145 but if you didn't know something had happened there it could be missed easily. I am no expert at gauging magnitudes but I would have said it was below the 12.5 John stated, but that was a few days ago.

Alan

Last week I had the 6" Reflector out as a quick grab and go. On two separate nights I viewed M82 but there was no sign of the SN in the 6". I knew exactly the position of  the SN  but it was too faint. If I have chance I will use the 10" Dob.

Sounds like it's fading away now then. It's been a good one though, the best of the ones I've seen I reckon.

Just come inside from an fantastic session. I finished off with a look at M82 and was surprised to still see the SN, using a 12mm EP there was clear structure visible in the galaxy along with the SN. The seeing has been really good tonight.

I plan to keep checking.

Still there in the frac. Although very faint, good target, if you know where it should be. One for averted vision and x150,

Nick.

Same here using averted vision but not an easy one now though hey! Only seven days ok it was still bright for me.

I picked the SN up with the 12" dob last night. It needed around 75x or more to actually see it with any clarity and 130x or so made it stand out better. I had superb views of M82 last night at 177x using the William Optics XWX 9mm that FLO have loaned me. The galaxy spanned about 1/3rd of the field of view and there was loads of structure and contrast and brightness variations to pick out as well as SN2014J. This eyepiece also does a great job on M13 and M97 - almost photographic views and very immersive.

Do you think you could still get it in the 6" John, or even the 120ED?

Stu

I've managed a mag 12.7 SN with the 120ED Stu so it may still just be possible. It should be in range of the 150 if your skies are reasonable.

I've managed a mag 12.7 SN with the 120ED Stu so it may still just be possible. It should be in range of the 150 if your skies are reasonable.

I think that's the issue John, I had a good look last night with the 150 but no sign. I just don't think my skies are up to it unfortunately.

Stu

Archived