Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeleVue Planetary Filter

allen g

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit I like the larger sizes but most of if not all of my planetary is done with 1.25 inch eyepieces.

I can't afford too many eyepieces at the moment, so I use at the moment my 25mm and my 17mm with a 4xPowermate 2" to get a ~6mm and ~4mm. Bought the Powermate 2" for distant-future astrophoto. and soon I will also buy a threaded 2"-1.25" reducer. You can use a 2" filter with a 1.25" eyepiece, but not the other side.

"I have spoken with Alan @ Sky's the Limit who is willing to lend a Moon & Skyglow filter for comparison if anyone has the Televue Bandmate Planetary Filter for comparison purposes. Sky's the Limit's eyepiece comes with its own certificate of actual transmission and at £26.99 including postage, represents quite a saving over the Tele Vue at £110.00 (SCS Astro 23/2/15).

Does anyone have a spectrogram of what these, the Planetary and the Mars filters, are designed to transmit?"

al

UHC-S is Baader's "wide band" UHC aimed at smaller aperture scopes Alan. It was my 1st ever deep sky filter when I just had 80mm and 100mm refractors. I have a soft spot for the filter because it was the first one that ever showed me the Veil Nebula which I thought was way beyond my little scopes :smiley:

This has become a very interesting thread and where as i said I had lost interest in this filter I am beginning to change my mind again.

GhostDance, could you tel me what a UHC-S is, is it the sport's model?

Alan

UHC-S is Baader's "wide band" UHC aimed at smaller aperture scopes Alan. It was my 1st ever deep sky filter when I just had 80mm and 100mm refractors. I have a soft spot for the filter because it was the first one that ever showed me the Veil Nebula which I thought was way beyond my little scopes :smiley:

Thank you John, exactly that! 

I've found it a good little item - yet to properly compare it to my Astronomik UHC-E ('budget' line apparently) - which I really must get around to :)

ps - John, I've never thought to attempt the Veil with it. Will do now! 

I remember reading something posted some time back telling the reason for the fairly high cost of this filter was the very high reject rate from the glass, we all know how much attention TeleVue pay to QA and that for me is one of the things that keep them with the market leaders, people will pay for quality.телескоп

As for the magazine, if I went to the newagents shop here and asked for Astronomy Now I can't imagine what I would be offered.

Alan.

Alan, the last time I was in Varna, (a few years ago now), I did manage to obtain 'Tелескоп' / 'Telescope'. I don't whether it still is in circulation.  :icon_scratch:  I used to buy it from the street newspaper/magazine kiosks for a few BGN.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread. :icon_salut:

Back to the subject in question. This thread is getting me thinking too about purchasing the TeleVue Mars or planetary filter. As I already have a Baader Neodymium filter, do I need one or other or both?

I tried mine again tonight and again struggled with the red/green CA. Tonight the Neodymium was nicer. No CA and a definite enhancement on no filter. I keep coming back to the seeing issue, would love to get a session with great conditions to check the filter properly

I've just ordered one so I'll see how I get on with it :smiley:

I tried a Neodynium for a month or so a little while back but it didn't do anything for me really  :undecided:

My main Jupiter eyepieces with the 12" dob are the 8mm and 6mm Ethos so I'll have the chance to push Jupiter around the FoV to see how the filter behaves on and off axis.

Poor / mediocre seeing can humble the best kit and it's not been great often this winter.

Well my thread certainly generated a great deal of interest. I haven't seen Astronomy Now in my area. Would anyone be kind enough to give a brief synopsis of the review by Neil English in the March issue. Very much appreciated. allen g

John,

If you don't get on with it remember me out here, I had one on order for a year and didn't get one from TS, I think they forgot about it and with the size of their operation I am very supprised they do not stock it as a regular item., they do the Mars filter, we have another year to increase sales on that one.

I think as I direct result of this thread I am getting into filters, something I never really gave a thought to a year or so back, it all started with talk about the OIII and the Veil.

Alan

John,

If you don't get on with it remember me out here, I had one on order for a year and didn't get one from TS, I think they forgot about it and with the size of their operation I am very supprised they do not stock it as a regular item., they do the Mars filter, we have another year to increase sales on that one.

I think as I direct result of this thread I am getting into filters, something I never really gave a thought to a year or so back, it all started with talk about the OIII and the Veil.

Alan

A year ago I just had the Astronomik O-III and a Kendrick White Light solar filter. Now I have 4 filters plus another on it's way :rolleyes2:

I still generally prefer viewing without them (except solar !!!) though.

I was very kindly sent the review that appeared in a magazine that I cannot get here , read it and it's back on the want list. It is by all accounts better in  scopes bigger than 5 inches, I have a few. Now all I need is to get some money back into my account in the UK after transfering most of it due to high exchange rates, we live and learn.

Alan

I hope to be "converted" tomorrow evening when some clear skies are forecast here :smiley:

Look forward to your report, John. I feel I fall into the same camp as you, prefering to view Jupiter generally without filters, so if you do make a write up, it will make for an interesting read. Where I think the filter would really make an impact is on Mars, but I guess we'll have to wait a couple more years before that can be decided.

Allen G,

We have a year or so before Mars comes to opposition again so we have a fair while to increase TeleVue sales on that one. Again it is not cheap in the UK but Mars is a target that has never really captivated me, maybe the filter will light my fire.

I have almost run out of eyepieces to buy and filters never look as if they cost a great deal to the wife.

Alan

Robin,

That is a few that have said the same thing, the review as I see it  more or less made the point that 80mm was too small, though that is only an opinion. There is after all a fair difference between the the two scopes he was using and let's face it a 5 inch refractor is not a small one. I bet when you an I started a 5 inch scope would cost almost as much as a good secondhand car.

Alan

Archived