Narrowband

TeleVue Planetary Filter

allen g

Hi guys, in light of john's appreciated feedback noting that when he viewed through the TV planetary filter there was a pink tone, I decided to go oup again to determine if I saw any such coloration. Transparency was excellent the other night so gave it a another shot with my refractor. Jupiter looked great with the filter, there was absolutely no pinkish color at all. It made me wonder: 1) could the optics in scopes make a difference in coloration using filters, 2) could the atmosphere at the moment account for that difference, 3) is it possible that there is spell over when viewing from one object in another that can cause or distort color, and 4) could light in the ambient environment where one views that can impact color. Of course not to mention differences in our eyes. Just some thoughts. By the way try it on Sirius under very high power and let me know what you think. Of course the star won't look white but I think I was able to see the little pup (there was a tiny star next to Sirius) because the filter suppressed the glare.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allen, your experiences sound to echo mine.

Reading your last post was an "of cooooouuurse" moment forms just now. I knew there was something else that had me lovng this filter, but couldn't remember what it was. And that's IT... It allowed me to view the Pup a while ago... Of course!!!

Thanks mate, I had completely forgotten I had achieved that with this filter. Mines not going anywhere. I might be a bit of a sucker, but I actually consider paying 100 odd dollars for something that works, will be used (even only very occasionally), isn't necessarily a magic bullet but will never wear out or go stale in a lifetime, to actually not be that bad value.

Oh, and regarding the colour caste. I don't find the view to be pinkish at all. It definitely does give the planet a more earthy brown kind of tone, very similar to those seen in photographs of the planet, though. In my eyes, I find ths very pleasing.

Courses for horses, I guess.

The pink tint was really quite marked, pink not brown or orange, and present in all the objects I viewed through the filter both with my ED120 refractor and my 12" dob. With the smaller aperture the pink tint was more prounounced and seemed to permiate the background sky as well. The objects I viewed through the filter included Jupiter (obviously), the Moon, Sirius, M42 and the Trapezium. All took on the pink hue, even the nebulosity surrounding the Trapezium.

If the filter had provided improved contrast of otherwise hard to see features on the Jovian disk I could have lived with the pink tinting although the filter would be something I would have used from time to time because I much prefer what I see as being the natural colours. As it was I felt the filter was slightly hindering my ability to pick out those subtle details albeit that it did increase the contrast of the more promiment features.

For me it would have been a £100 piece of kit that I would not use and I'd rather spend that money on something that will get used, so back the filter has gone :smiley:

I'm not happy about this outcome though because I had high hopes for it :undecided:

I felt I gave it a good workout and it's good to be able to do that for the cost of the postage :smiley:

PS: The views I was getting of Jupiter with the filter, in terms of colour scheme, looked nothing at all like the photos / images I've admired of the planet.

That's a shame, John. Sounds like some of us have had very different experiences to each other.

Oh well, at least you won't have to wonder about it anymore and can now put your hard-earned toward something else that you will get along better with.

Of course not to mention differences in our eyes. Just some thoughts. By the way try it on Sirius under very high power and let me know what you think. Of course the star won't look white but I think I was able to see the little pup (there was a tiny star next to Sirius) because the filter suppressed the glare.

Thanks for the heads up I must try that next time I get to use this filter.

I ordered one of these two days ago and hope to have it in time for SGLX. If I do I am happy for others to take a look through it.

I might be curious to have a look through another to see if it looks the same as the one I tried !

Reading of such different experiences makes me wonder if I was using the same filter ?

I might be curious to have a look through another to see if it looks the same as the one I tried !

Reading of such different experiences makes me wonder if I was using the same filter ?

John,

That sounds a great idea, all I would say is if it is at SGL X which I guess is the next chance then can you see if you can use it on you own scopes?

Alan

looking forward to more opinions - only is we can figure out the variables at work that are accounting for the divergence of views. Of course it could boil down to them eyes.

Archived