Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue Planetary Filter

allen g

Yes, I also think Type A was superseded by the Planetary so that and Type B are the two filters to get for viewing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Looking forward to the opinion of other's views.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine have been shipped and are expected to arrive at some stage this week. Mars isn't sitting in a very favourable position for me to view from home until the very wee hours of the morning at the moment, so probably won't get a chance to try out the Type B filter for a little while, but will definitely get to try the Planetary filter on Jupiter when it arrives (weather permitting).

Will definitely let you all know how it fares.

I used the States once and it was so much messing about here I said I would never do it again, I also need my wife to do this as my Bulgarian is not good enough with writen documents, or spoken for that matter. I sort of know hundreds of words but not very good at putting them together, a bit like my English.

Dani in Sofia is seeing what he can come up with.

Alan.

That's interesting. I've always found it so easy, but we probably have different import duty laws to you guys there. As long as the order equates to less than AU$1000, then none is required, so it simply gets shipped direct to your door. I pretty much just place an online order and have most things within a week.

Aaron

Planetary filter and UHC arrived yesterday afternoon. Mars B filter was shipped separately, so expect it will probably arrive early next week.

If the weather holds this evening, I'll have a go at both Jupiter and Mars with the Planetary filter tonight and post my thoughts afterwards... Fingers crossed!

Well, I've had a couple of hours play with this filter so far and the verdict is... I'm a massive fan! Absolutely brilliant. I only had a short window of time to use it on Jupiter, as the big fella is positioned in an increasingly awkward spot for me to view from home at the moment, allowing only about half an hour between the sky getting dark enough to see any detail and him slipping out of view altogether behind my apartment. Still, even in the little amount of time that I had on Jupiter, this filter impressed me a lot. The seeing wasn't too bad. After aligning the LX90, having allowed it a good couple of hours to cool outside beforehand, I spent a little amount if time viewing it without the filter, so as to be able to draw a reasonable comparison. The main equatorial belts were easy to view and I could quite comfortably see that the GRS was conveniently positioned almost dead centre in the upper belt, something that seems to never be the case regardless of what time or day I observe Jupiter. Would you believe that tonight was probably only about the third or fourth time I've ever viewed the GRS?! Not for lack of trying though... Sometimes I think Jupiter is taking the mickey out of me with its transit timings. The eyepiece I was using was a 14mm Radian, giving approximately 178x magnification. I could faintly make out further bands toward each pole in moments when the seeing simmered to a lesser boil, but for the most part Jupiter was a bright whitish disk with two brownish equatorial belts and a hint of the GRS in one. Time to add the filter...

The first thing I noticed was the colour. Or, should I say, colours. What strikes me about this filter is that it doesn't seem to throw a caste over the image like most other planetary filters I've tried. Rather, it seems to bring out the natural tones of the object being viewed. Immediately, Jupiter was a mix of brown, orange and white tones, much akin to photographs as Allen pointed out in the first post of this thread. It was lovely, but what nearly knocked me over was the detail and colour of the GRS. It was clearly a much deeper orange/red than the brownish belts. This made it stand out like nobodies business. It was so easy to distinguish the border of it, quite easily seeing white borders between the band and the storm itself. On top of this, further details and festoons were a lot more obvious in the bands, due mainly to the different colours and contrasts provided by the filter. To be honest, I reckon it's worth the price of entry on Jupiter alone.

I've now spent the last hour viewing Mars with it. Once again, rather than throwing a false colour over the red planet, it brings out exactly the tone of orange we are used to seeing in photographs. Details aren't nearly as obvious with Mars as they are with Jupiter, but they're definitely easier to tease out with the filter. The red planet isn't showing us it's most exciting side at the moment, so Syrtis Major will have to wait, but I'm definitely able to make out what I believe is Acidalia Planetia and other shadings of blue/grey across the face of the planet. Not to mention the ice cap, which isn't much of a challenge at all.

So, all in all, I'm happy. Very happy. Would I recommend buying this filter? Absolutely. It's by far the best planetary filter I've ever tried. Will be interesting to see how the Mars Type B filter fares when it arrives. If that provides any further detail than this one, I'll be one happy camper indeed!

Aaron

Hi Aaron, after reading your review and resisting temptation for a few days I have finally given in and have ordered the new 'planetary' from Agena Astro, looking forward to getting it, as I love looking at Jupiter and Saturn, but not so much Mars.  Can't wait!

Nice report Arron and that is more money to find, now I have to have one.

With regards to UK supply why don't someone give Telescope House a ring and report back on thread, they are bout the biggest outlet for Televue as far as i know.

Robin,

Tend to be with you on that one, love Saturn and Jupiter but Mars just don't do much for me, I think it is because it is small and you have to use so much magnification and conditions rarely allow X300 and I feel thats what you need.

Alan.

I like Mars, but I don't think it will be much fun in a dob at such high powers. In my Vixen which is on a computer mount, it was quite nice.

I think i'm the type of guy who would have to try this filter out first before committing such large amounts of money.

I like Mars, but I don't think it will be much fun in a dob at such high powers. In my Vixen which is on a computer mount, it was quite nice.

I think i'm the type of guy who would have to try this filter out first before committing such large amounts of money.

Like you, I'd want to the filter as generally I prefer to view filterless for as much of my viewing as possible.

My 12" dob is similar to yours I think and delivered superb views of Mars last night at 265x and 318x. No filter involved :smiley:  

That crossing of fingers is a sure way of asking for clouds. I hope things are fine and look forward to your thoughts. Was the UHC a Televue as well?Alan

Sorry Alan, somehow I missed this post. It would appear that, aside from the other night, the crossed fingers did the job inviting the clouds. Has been miserable since and isn't likely to clear this side of the weekend.

Yep, the UHC is the Televue as well.

I actually just hunted down a Mars Type A filter and ordered it this morning, so will soon be able to do a direct comparison between it and the Planetary filter. Hopefully the Mars Type B should arrive any day now.

Hi all,  I wish I owned shares in TV after all that interest in the thread I initiated.  I am glad that aaron corroborated my observation of Jupiter although I have not had opportunity to view the GRS as yet but will now after his review of the planetary filter. I tried it again and now I will not view Jupiter without it.  The color is impressive, the brightness is muted so the details emerge.  I plan on trying it with my LX 90 8" next.  I received the Type B but the weather even in Los Angeles has not been good enough to view mars but we have time as this will be a great year for viewing the red planet.  Can't wait to view and receive feedback from others.  If it is as good as the planetary on Jupiter it is well worth it or better yet could not live without it.  I can't wait to use it at star parties.  Remember April 14/15 total lunar eclipse.  clear skies. allen

• 2 weeks later...

Robin,

You of all people should know buying anything is like a red flag to a bull, maybe its time for a new twist on the saying, like a new filter to the fluffy stuff..

If I had the energy I would blow some of my clear sky towards you.

Alan,

Robin,

You of all people should know buying anything is like a red flag to a bull, maybe its time for a new twist on the saying, like a new filter to the fluffy stuff..

If I had the energy I would blow some of my clear sky towards you.

Alan,

Hi Alan, thanks for your thought, it's very kind of you. 

Archived