Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesu installation about to commence...

Helen

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thks Helen,

Are 2 m8 bolts enough to hold the losmandy bar on the mount?

I have a skywatcher 10" Steel Quattro.

At the moment I have a 180 Pro Mak, a WO123 refractor and a borg 77 (along with cameras) on the mount and all seems solid.  I've just ordered a losamandy side-by-side arrangements which will add a bit more weight (but extra stability and the ability to line up the scopes properly).  So I hope the bolts in the saddle will hold it all!!

Helen

This classes as first light  :grin:

5 x 2 minutes on M13, guided  (no flats or anything else just dss stack and CS2 quick play)

post-374-0-30342400-1397605534_thumb.jpg

I was going to try modelling the mount, but the new ADM side-by-side plate comes tomorrow so I've decided to leave the modelling until then (and read up about how to do it tomorrow!)

Helen

Edit:  just looked at this on the screen inside - flats needed!!!!!

Bunnies have been banished

post-374-0-76035200-1397661477_thumb.jpg

but the full res version shows some interesting star shapes

post-374-0-94072700-1397661480_thumb.jpg

Not sure what's the cause - optical, flex, tracking, guiding, my setting up of the mount?  But the Fedex man has just brought my new ADM side-by-side bar so we'll see if that helps.

Helen

post-374-0-74639000-1397661177_thumb.jpg

Poor star shapes m13.tif

A bit more configuring has taken place...

I've now got the C11 on an ADM Maxiguider HD on a Losmandy side-by-side plate with the WO123 refractor.  The plan was to have the Borg on top of the 123 as the guide scope as the refractor combination has worked well for me, but I have insufficient counterweights!  I have 25kg but think I need another 10 to be comfortable, and the skywatcher ones don't have a big enough centre hole.  So I'll need to order one.

The mount did cope admirably with the weight though.  My polar alignment isn't perfect yet, but it still managed to keep saturn on the small chip of the DBK for long periods even at over 8m focal length!

Helen

I've now got the C11 on an ADM Maxiguider HD on a Losmandy side-by-side plate with the WO123 refractor.  The plan was to have the Borg on top of the 123 as the guide scope as the refractor combination has worked well for me, but I have insufficient counterweights!  I have 25kg but think I need another 10 to be comfortable, and the skywatcher ones don't have a big enough centre hole.  So I'll need to order one.

The mount did cope admirably with the weight though.  My polar alignment isn't perfect yet, but it still managed to keep saturn on the small chip of the DBK for long periods even at over 8m focal length!

Helen

Helen, could you post a picture of how you've set up the scopes?

OK, here are some photos for Gordon :smile:

Full set up:

post-374-0-77253000-1398096448_thumb.jpg

From the side

post-374-0-51437200-1398096447_thumb.jpg

The ADM Maxguider HD - allows the two scopes to be aligned

post-374-0-26411900-1398096446_thumb.jpg

The Maxguider has a saddle underneath, so I bolted a losmandy bar to the ADM side-by-side bar in place of one of the saddles, and the Maxguider attaches to that.  It still allows movement backwards and forwards for ballance.

post-374-0-81573500-1398096444_thumb.jpg

The WO123 just slots into the losmandy saddle on the side-by-side bar.

post-374-0-43063800-1398096443_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps

Helen

That's looking really professional!

My Father is from Llanishen Cardiff, although he left Wales in the late 50s when he joined the Navy (submarine cmdr)

I have many fond memories of visiting my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles who all lived down the same street.

Quick question

As a relative newbie can I ask what is the practicle purpose of both scopes on the same mount?

Regards,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm glad you have fond memories of Wales - the street full of relatives is my experience too!

For me, having 2 very different scopes set up side by side is about flexibility. It gives me the option of planetary or small galaxies or globular clusters at high magnification/resolution with the C11 or wider field with the refractor. I can now do either or both of these in one night without having to disturb the set up (saving time and effort).

Helen

That is a wonderful set-up Helen and when fully connected will be a real pleasure to use.

Let's hope you have clear skies to use it to it's full potential.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Living in Wales it will never be used to its full potential, but I'm hoping that I can instead use the clear skies we do have to their potential (or at least have fun trying!!)

Helen

Simon,

I set-up using two scopes, stacked on top of each other  and not side by side as Helen's wonderful set-up.

The reason I do this is:-

QHY8 pro attached to an ED80 f6.4 - Used for RGB images

Atik 460exm attached to WOZ71ED f4.72 - Used for Luminescence and narrowband images.

This means I can double the imaging time per session and with the limited time I can image throughout the year I definitely benefit.  :smiley:   

Steve

Looking good Helen, I was born in Wales during the war when my dad was stationed at Talbenny RAF station so my wife calls me Taffy, not a bad thing surely.

Still pondering the mount conundrum so interested in your results.

Is your WO scope a 132 or a 123 ?

Dave

Helen

I tried to mount an FSQ106 on the Maxguider HD and it wobbled around like a spring loaded banana. That's being polite. It was a no hoper. I consider it totally unfit for purpose but if it was my fault I'll be the first to say sorry. We now use a Cassady T Gad to do the same job and that works perfectly. Chalk and cheese. I really did find the Maxguider so bad that I wondered if I'd missed something. SInce two other well known imagers were here at the time and agreed with me I felt rather better, but who knows? It was also a pig to adjust.

Olly

Archived