NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mesu installation about to commence...

Helen

Happy birthday!

Didn't know you got a mesu as well, good luck!

the sitech ii scripts for mapping the mount pointing are sublime ;-D

Don't try drift aligning with the point xp enabled though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Neil :-)  Hope you're well out there!

I looked around at the alternatives (and discussed with a few people) and for the price the Mesu seemed the best option for a mount that would take a refractor for DSO imaging and an SCT/Mak for galaxies and planetary without me having to take them on and off.  I've now put some scopes on for testing, and it seems to cope easily :smile:

post-374-0-44046500-1395772363_thumb.jpg

At the moment I haven't got the pier drilled for the az adjuster so only rough polar alignment.  I think I'll need a pier extension though as particularly with a side-by-side rig I'm going to lose too much sky below the walls otherwise.  I need to work out how best to do that.

I've managed to get the comms working OK, but I've only just started delving into the manual for the sync etc.  (Your earlier posting on the sitech set-up on here has helped my understanding too :smile:)

The plan is to use with Maxim and CdC in a very similar fashion to EQMod and the EQ6.

Need some clear skies now though - and some time without Uni assignments and work commitments!!

Its going to be fun  :grin:

Helen

Very well at the moment thanks!

I love the look of the newer mounts they're great.

The driver is excellent but there's also a version 6 of maxim coming out which has some great features. I think between the mesu, maxim and cdc you've got everything covered.

Lovely looking setup.

[emoji12]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What modifications did you have to make to your pier to go from the EQ6 to the Mesu?

I have a losmandy clamp for my EQ6, will it fit on the Mesu?

Where did you purchase your mount from?

Rgds,

Simon

Ps I need some luminous marking for the counterweight bar as its much longer and sturdier than that of the eq6 and I've already got a few bruises......

The mount that fights back!!

You are making good progress by the looks of things, Helen. I have now got the auto-centring in MaxIm DL back and working (just a box to tick in the calibration screen it would appear although it still only centres in 'Ignore' mode. 

I also carried out a 24 point automatic Sky Modelling run to make use of the clear but Moon-filled sky and that went perfectly as usual - you'll love that feature!

It's my 50th in June.

My Darling wife has mentioned the Mesu as a 50th Birthday present.

She also mentioned that I would not get another Birthday present for another 10 years.

Deal done!

Bit of an update....

Lenny popped up this afternoon with the 'draft' pier extension. We put the mount and scopes on it and checked whether the roof still closed. It did :biggrin: and so I will now be able to see over the walls much better. Lenny will now weld the top plate and tap the hole for the az adjuster.

(Simon, the Mesu has a flat bottom plate, it uses the same size central fixing thread as the eq6, but needs a threaded hole to take the az screw which goes tyhrough the base of the mount.)

It'll be back completed tomorrow :smile: so I'll post pictures.

I have had a play the last couple of nights. Haven't done anything serious given the polar alignment has been very approximate as I couldn't adjust the az. First night I struggled a bit as, despite synching, the gotos were hugely out. So I did a bit more reading and found the bit about not using stars within 10° of ncp, so my choice of polaris had probably caused the problem! Last night, using different stars worked much better :smile: and even with very rough pa I managed to keep mars on the small dbk chip using the 180 mak even with a barlow with only minor nudges every once in a while. So very encouraging.

I'm now really looking forward to getting it properly set up and getting the modeling done.

Helen

Ps I need some luminous marking for the counterweight bar as its much longer and sturdier than that of the eq6 and I've already got a few bruises......

grab some cheap foam pipe lagging and put that around the bar :)

Making progress  :grin:   Just got the mount aligned using Maxim plate solving and synching to solved position  :grin:   Based on that it is saying the polar alignment is out by a degree or so in each direction (not bad for a rough set by eye of the mount).  So now need to read up on the polar alignment routines....

Helen (smiling!)

Did you get any mesu specific instructions or do I have to work it all out from the Sitech site?

There are some specific Mesu instructions, as well as the Sitech Bible.  If you haven't already done so I suggest you join the Mesu Yahoo group.

ALL the boys asked me to thank you for the cake it did not last long :grin:  :grin:

Lenny

Glad it went down well Lenny :wink:  

The pillar height is great - and much easier to avoid the counterweight bar too! 

Helen

Archived