Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horizon BBC2 Program about Gravity

Beyond_Vision

Yeah, unfortunate everything associated with Particle Physics, Cosmology etc. has to be accompanied by "up the left nostril" camera angles (yeah, the guy smiles a lot, but, obliquely, came across as almost... "shifty"?) Then the traditional blurred city/car lights, desert cacti, whizzes and bangs. So very different from etc. The recent Jim Al-Khalili "Atom" series seems to have received almost universal (including lay) acclaim. IMO wonderful! That's the way to do it... :D

I can't say I enjoyed it too much. I hope this is not a new format for the presenting of science programmes. A bit of fun and games sits well in the Xmas Lectures, but this was a serious subject, and demands serious application.

I have nothing against Cox, he appears to be a very happy person, and nowt wrong with that.

If I was a dentist, I probably would not have minded too much that his teeth seemed to hog most of the camera.

The subject itself fascinates me, but I was not keen on the format of this program to lay it out.

Besides, I have lost most of my teeth, and I was just a little jealous. :D

Ron.

Still what a great money spinner particle physics is. Where shall we build the next atom smasher - here is a nice place - and they have a billion to spare. Maybe they would save money if they had a cage of mice in the office of the machine that was just to old and slow - rather than the plastic ducks. After all mice are pan-dimensional and so, it seems, is the graviton.

The recent Jim Al-Khalili "Atom" series seems to have received almost universal (including lay) acclaim. IMO wonderful! That's the way to do it... :D

Managed about 5 minutes of Horizon before I switched off!! However "Atom" was much more interesting, not much there for the academic but I enjoyed the historical aspect (i.e Lord Rutherford discovering transmutation of elements "by accident" due to the production of Hydrogen in a gas jar containing Radium and atmospheric air).

Also of interest was the presenter. Professor Al-Khalili is a lecturer in the Physics dept at Surrey Uni where I recently completed my masters degree.

http://www.ph.surrey.ac.uk/profiles?s_id=16

Whilst he didn't lecture me I thought he was an excellent presenter!! 8)

Cheers

Bill£ :D

Interesting points. "Noone likes Rap" (see music thread!) but maybe someone's imagination can be fired by the two (rather spiffing, IMO) guitar chords at the beginning of Eminem's "Loose yourself" to FAR (supposedly) greater things? IDEM current "Science" Programs? :D

I also enjoyed (was moved by) a repeat of: "The Rock star and the Quantum Mechanic". Seemed to encapsulate both the finer points and the "pathologies" of science. To my shame, I cannot recall Hugh Everett III (among) the father(s) of Parallel Universe theory? Mea culpa or symptomatic of a wider (National) malaise? And my heart is still with a (rather beleagured British!) Science - Alleged "perks" or not. I mean... 80 Million for the last, 9 Billion for the Olympics - "Whoops - Bit o' Politics", as Ben Elton was wont to say? No confrontation: I still don't KNOW the answer to "Is it worth it"? But I still believe so... :D

Archived