I just ordered my first telescope :)

Hi, I'm new here, and I've just ordered my first telescope. After a few months of research, I decided on the CGEM 800 by Celestron. It seems like a good choice for both casual observing, and getting started in astrophotography. One thing I'm particularly anxious about is getting the alignment right. I've read multitudes about it and watched some videos on YouTube, but I'm still a little intimidated. Is this something that will make more sense when my telescope gets here and I'm able to practice? Any pointers or links you could give me to break it down a little more would be very appreciated, thanks! Or any tips in general, as I'm new to this altogether.

Wow! That is a hefty first buy! I hope you are a "strong" lady as the CGEM Mount is a Heavy beast. ;)

Aligning a Mount for Visual observation is not that hard. And as you are completely New, I would stick with visual observing for quite some time first and get the hang of everything. Learn the Sky, aligning the Scope, using it, etc.

I have to dive into bed now, but I am sure there are some night owls lurking here that can give you a quick easy to understand rundown of setup up the CGEM Mount for first time (setting correct latitude adjustment to your location, etc) and do a first basic alignment.

For alignment just make sure that you have read the manual at least twice and written down all the data you will need.

If there is no gps then the general information is Latitude, Longitude, Timezone. Make sure they are entred in the required order = read what the scope asks for don't assume it is what you think it will be.

Try to look on learning about it as part of the enjoyable process of getting to your first full observation.  You'll get used to it, and it becomes second nature after a while.  I remember when I first tried - it seemed ridiculously complicated.  Now?  It takes about 5 mins!

Hi AstroNurse and welcome to SGL :)

Aligning the scope is dead easy for observing - point it north using a compass and set your latitude scale to your position on Earth. Then do a star alignment and you're good to go.

Whilst you await it's arrival take a pair of 9x50 binocs outside and have a peak around - some objects are better in binoculars (eg Pleiades, Beehive Cluster, etc). Learn the constellations and the main star names that are current in your sky, and download Stellarium for a view of your local night sky (it's free).

This will stand you in good stead for when you get the scope on the sky. As mentioned above - leave the imaging for a while and come back to it after a lot of research - it's a huge learning curve. At least you have a good mount for it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently did the same thing. Just wait till it arives... it is a awesome instrument! Here are some things i went trough:

1. The mount is heavy, 20lb tripod, 40lb mount, but the scop is light. Setup inside a couple times before you drag it all outside.

2. Face it north, gps, date, time...the remote is weird to use, but you'll get used to it. Quick align and you can use directional pad to search around at first.

3. Even poor seeing is awesome.. moon, jupiter, saturn, m42 are easy to find

4. No moon filter, wear sun glasses

5. Visual first, photos attempts will be a while

Sounds like your good, keep reading and ask here and its fun.

Hi Astronurse! Welcome to the forum. 

That is a great first scope lol. You have 100% done the right thing! Most people end up buying something cheap then upgrading then upgrading again... You wont be upgrading anything for a long time! :) 

As the other dudes have said...i hope your strong lol that is one heavy beast! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently did the same thing. Just wait till it arives... it is a awesome instrument! Here are some things i went trough:

1. The mount is heavy, 20lb tripod, 40lb mount, but the scop is light. Setup inside a couple times before you drag it all outside.

2. Face it north, gps, date, time...the remote is weird to use, but you'll get used to it. Quick align and you can use directional pad to search around at first.

3. Even poor seeing is awesome.. moon, jupiter, saturn, m42 are easy to find

4. No moon filter, wear sun glasses

5. Visual first, photos attempts will be a while

Sounds like your good, keep reading and ask here and its fun.

Hello, I'm a fellow newbie and Scope owner. I went the 'Light Bucket' route and got me a Dob. I was a little intimidated with the Collimation but one 10min Youtube from a very helpful site Astronomy and Nature which I can recommend also, and I was confident to try it myself. I think the whole unknown is what makes this a very enjoyable hobby. There is just so much to learn and it really improves your views and experience when the helpful advice is applied. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPoh76f60kA

Hello, I'm a fellow newbie and Scope owner. I went the 'Light Bucket' route and got me a Dob. I was a little intimidated with the Collimation but one 10min Youtube from a very helpful site Astronomy and Nature which I can recommend also, and I was confident to try it myself. I think the whole unknown is what makes this a very enjoyable hobby. There is just so much to learn and it really improves your views and experience when the helpful advice is applied. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPoh76f60kA

Yup, cool little film. Definitely helpful. Thanks for that.   :smiley:

Archived