Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Difficult tidal tail.

ollypenrice

:BangHead:  :BangHead:  :BangHead:  :BangHead:  :BangHead:  :BangHead: 

This was too difficult! I want to spend the next two years imaging open clusters.

Scott Findlay managed the Tandem Tak for capture and he and Naemeth and I spend two days working out how to get this tail dragged into visibility. It really is faint.

We had a whopping 25x30 minutes luminance and 25x10 minutes RGB but didn't have the driest of skies so flattening it was murder. WIthout a flat background you just can't pull out the tail.

The galaxy cores come from an image in the TEC140, resized in Registar and blended in Photoshop.

Olly

Triplet%20Tidal%20Tail%20Web-L.jpg

Full size  http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-JpHscjB/0/O/Triplet%20Tidal%20Tail%20Web.jpg  click on this image for the full.

Excellent image Olly.

Going for M66 tonight, but I don't expect to get anything like that depth with my LP.

Perhaps the most beautiful galaxy of them all. Stunning form and colours. WIth your FL I'm certain you'll love it and do it proud.

Olly

Nice Olly, the tail is really nice! Never seen it before.

Comparing both images, it seems NGC3628 in no 2 image came with a less detailed band of dust in the central region, which seems to be better in image no 1. I might be wrong. Just an observation I made.

Best regards,

Erik

Wow, I didn't know there was a tail. I love this image and is worth all the hard work, well done!

Probably a stupid question Olly but being so faint how did you know the tail even existed?

Paul

Thanks. I first heard of it when Jordan (JCJC on here) pointed out a whiff of it that I'd caught in one of my early attempts. Quite honestly I hadn't seen it myself. I then found that it had been very well captured in an image I found on the net when I followed up on Jordan's comment. At the time I knew that I didn't know enough about processing to be able to drag it out but you live and learn so I thought the time was ripe for a crack at it.

Olly

That really is a lovely image Olly.

Any ideas what is causing the tail? Doesn't seem to be anything 'big' in that direction to pull the tail away from the galaxy but something must be. Intriguing :-)

Stu

That really is a lovely image Olly.

Any ideas what is causing the tail? Doesn't seem to be anything 'big' in that direction to pull the tail away from the galaxy but something must be. Intriguing :-)

Stu

From what I've read it was drawn out during a violent gravitational interaction with one of the other Triplet members (or both of them?)  Bearing in mind that we don't see the three dimensional juxtaposition of the trio it is hard to imagine how the alignment at some time produced this effect. The tail is 300,000 LY long (three times the diameter of the Milky Way) and contains star forming regions and hot blue stars.

Olly

Archived